Aggressive Royal Gramma

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a royal gramma in my 45 gallon tank for several months, along with my randalls goby. I also have a pair of firefish that just finished their quarantine. So, I caught one of the firefish and put it in the tank on Monday night (the other was hiding in a rock at the time, but I can now catch it when I need to introduce it to the DT). I noticed yesterday that the gramma was chasing the firefish and patrolling the rocks when the firefish was hiding. Today, the firefish has been staying at the top of the tank, and the gramma is leaving it alone now.
So I have two questions:
1. The firefish has what looks like one nip to the tail, and a spot on the body where is has gotten a little scraped up. Should I be worried about it, or should it heal up?
2. Is it safe to put in the other firefish, or would that be putting it in danger too?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the Gramma in time out in another tank or the sump for a day or 2, add the other firefish & then put the gramma back in the tank after TO & it may stop the gramma from being a bully.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the Gramma in time out in another tank or the sump for a day or 2, add the other firefish & then put the gramma back in the tank after TO & it may stop the gramma from being a bully.
I don’t have a sump or tank I can put the gramma in, so it would have to go into my breeder box. Would that work?

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to catch the gramma, but I was not able to. I also had some clownfish that just finished qt, so I added them last night hoping that they would diffuse the aggression. It seems to have worked some, and the gramma has been more mellow since then. It is still chasing the firefish when it comes out, but not as aggressively. The firefish’s tail is torn up now, but it has been that way for a couple days now and doesn’t seem to be getting worse. What should I do? Will things get better, or will the aggression only get worse?

cheras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried to catch the gramma, but I was not able to. I also had some clownfish that just finished qt, so I added them last night hoping that they would diffuse the aggression. It seems to have worked some, and the gramma has been more mellow since then. It is still chasing the firefish when it comes out, but not as aggressively. The firefish’s tail is torn up now, but it has been that way for a couple days now and doesn’t seem to be getting worse. What should I do? Will things get better, or will the aggression only get worse?

A few months ago I had a gramma and purple firefish. I introduced them both at the same time and the gramma was small. I never had problems with them. I also have a starry blenny and when I introduced a gold head goby the starry blenny chased it constantly. I tried to put the starry blenny in timeout inside a breeder box but I couldn't catch him. After a few days I noticed that the gold head goby would come out but the blenny didn't pay attention to it. Now they're in peace and I don't have problems with them.

I would say just make sure the firefish has a place to hide underneath a rock (that where mine hides) and eventually the gramma will get used to the firefish.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stretch but have you considered just putting a picture of a giant fish to the glass? I've actually tried it and it worked for aggressive fish

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stretch but have you considered just putting a picture of a giant fish to the glass? I've actually tried it and it worked for aggressive fish
That’s an interesting idea. I will probably try a mirror if things don’t get totally better soon.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an interesting idea. I will probably try a mirror if things don’t get totally better soon.

Hopefully it does, I had a royal gramma with a damsel and the royal gramma was just not having it! When I upgraded tanks some of my new bigger fish put him in his place though

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I had a gramma and purple firefish. I introduced them both at the same time and the gramma was small. I never had problems with them. I also have a starry blenny and when I introduced a gold head goby the starry blenny chased it constantly. I tried to put the starry blenny in timeout inside a breeder box but I couldn't catch him. After a few days I noticed that the gold head goby would come out but the blenny didn't pay attention to it. Now they're in peace and I don't have problems with them.

I would say just make sure the firefish has a place to hide underneath a rock (that where mine hides) and eventually the gramma will get used to the firefish.
Thank you. Things seem to be getting better, but there is still a little chasing. I have noticed that the gramma only chases when the firefish is in certain areas, so I wonder if it is a territorial as opposed to just being aggressive for no reason. There are plenty of places for the firefish to hide, so it’s safe in the rocks.

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same issue with my RG, he now wants all the caves in my 20g & chases out my YWG. Debating whether or not to trade him in for something a little easier going.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back