Aggressive starry blenny

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. We've had a starry blenny and yellow watchman goby together in a 75 mixed reef for about 7 months now. No problems at all.

The watchman usually stays near his cave. We recently introduced a pistol shrimp to try and pair.

Last week we noticed the goby staying at the top of the tank with ripped fins. After watching, the starry blenny was continually going after it and attacking. We removed the watchman for a while and added it back, with the starry immediately trying to beat it up.

I'm guessing these 2 just aren't going to be compatible?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we tried the yellow watchman again in both tanks after having him out for a while. He immediately went to his normal caves, not bothering anyone.

Immediately, the starry blenny chased him out and attacked him relentlessly.

Tried him in the 40g, and the starcki finally noticed him in a cave. The starcki backed his tail into the cave and started slapping the goby until it swam out, then proceeded to grab onto him and shake, trying to kill him.

So, the goby is now in a 20g aquarium all to himself and already completely healed.

We've noticed the starcki only attacks fish that are yellow. Can we try any different colored gobies, or will the starry blenny always see a goby as a threat?

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t keep a goby and a blenny together they have the same body shape so the blenny probably will have a problem with all of them, not always true but most of the time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back