Agressive Tomini, should I try another?

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version: I'm returning an agressive tomini, I really want one in the tank, what are my odds of getting a friendlier one if I try another?

Backstory:
I've recently aquired and gone through a bout of issues with a Tomini. And now that he's settling in, I'm seeing more and more agression. I've lost all love for this fish. He attacks both my algae blenny and copperband butterflyfish for sport, but especially when they are eating. The copperband is shy enough as it is, so that's the last thing he needs. I've been feeding very heavily to avoid food agression, but even with a tank full of food, he will take a break from eating to make sure others are not.

As bad as I wanted this fish, and as good a utilitarian fish as he seems to be... I had to pull him. The entire tank seems peaceful again, the cbbf for one isn't pacing, the clowns wander again, and the blenny hops from rock to rock.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but he's been moved to another tank until I can return him. The plan is to try another Tomini tang, just looking for other people's experience with them and agression.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it's not large enough, I can see why the fish would go after the algae blenny (same diet/niche in the wild), and the CBB (same laterally compressed body plan). You could certainly try a tomini, I've never heard of them being incredibly aggressive fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back