AI Blades, Radion G6, or AI 32 on a 120G

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't one need XR30 per 24" square of surface if acros are in the mix? Going off BRS recommendations and how I'm planning my main along with next up being a cube. Have a XR15 but plan to upgrade because Monti Cap or Giant anemone on my brain.

Assuming 120 dimensions being 24x24x48.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruttall so let’s change it up. Besides your “spend twice as much for less light” Under what circumstances would you purchase Radions over ReeFi?

What lights are you using
I just ordered the Reefi-Labs Uno 2.0 x3 for my 8 foot tank. They should be here Wednesday. I did about 3 months of exhaustive research, read everything I could find (Thanks @Dana Riddle He is using Reefi's on one of his personal tanks and Neptune Sky on the other), emailed Customer Service reps etc. Radion and Orphek both tried to Up-sell me on more lights than I needed, and at $900+ a light all I could wonder is why are they so desperate to sell me something I do not need? It is off putting enough to disqualify both from my consideration in lighting.

This is My List of Prefer Light in the order I would buy them.

1 Reefi-Labs
2 Neptune Sky
3 Orphek Atlantik Icon
4 Radion xr30 g6

Daniel Lu did not try and upsell me on lights I do not need for tank. He answered my questions without any pressure to buy tactics.

After I bought the lights he sent me yet another email, gave me Height suggestion for hanging and a profile suggestion to use to start with, I have never seen anyone stand behind their product like he is, Daniel is very active on the reefi-labs Facebook page, daily doing Tech Support to help people better use his product.

To answer your question, right now, nothing could get me to invest in the Radions. At least not until I prove to myself the Reefi-labs is not a good light and burn up the other 2 in front of Radion, but I am expecting a very different result from using the Reefi Lights. Best of Luck to you.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Reefi-Labs Uno 2.0 x3 for my 8 foot tank. They should be here Wednesday. I did about 3 months of exhaustive research, read everything I could find (Thanks @Dana Riddle He is using Reefi's on one of his personal tanks and Neptune Sky on the other), emailed Customer Service reps etc. Radion and Orphek both tried to Up-sell me on more lights than I needed, and at $900+ a light all I could wonder is why are they so desperate to sell me something I do not need? It is off putting enough to disqualify both from my consideration in lighting.
Thanks @Bruttall much appreciated

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When considering a company one should appreciate what happened with DeLorean once DeLorean wasn't able to run that company. Point being, what will become of the company and it's support for prior products should the sole entrepreneur no longer have interest in said company or no longer around?

Not saying any will literally follow in the same foot steps or incur the same issues but going concern is a concern. One person can't be the company.

jim881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I’m thinking of changing lights on my 120 mixed reef (2’x4’x2’) and have come down to three options.
  • Three AI Blades (2 GROW and 1 GLOW)
  • Two XR15G6 Pro
  • Two AI Hydra 32
The lights would be around 8” from the water surface because I have a hood. I like the blades because they are low profile and I think I can get pretty even coverage in the tank. The G6 and 32s are just great lights but I’m not sure how even the lighting will be given the height above the water. Also considered 8 AI Primes but I don’t want to deal with 8 power blocks.

Thanks in advance!
Maybe do a combo of both .....at much thought, it was my best solution :)

Attachments

• 20230710_221134.jpg
    20230710_221134.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 33

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Bugatti was a less known brand and cost half as much as a Ferrari, would you still buy a Ferrari?
Fair. What type of light would you recommend for a 32-gallon biocube? I’m trying to find a light that will grow anything without limitations

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair. What type of light would you recommend for a 32-gallon biocube? I’m trying to find a light that will grow anything without limitations
It depends on surface area, height and the shape of your aquascape.

But generally, from 50cm~20” up to 80cm~32” (even 90cm~36”) - I would go with an Uno 2.0.

For smaller tanks I would most likely go with 3 to 5 Quanta bars in the closest length of the tank.

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m gonna do my research on that light. Do you have full control with your iPhone? The only concern I have is finding the right a bracket to attach to the back of the coralife biocube

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m gonna do my research on that light. Do you have full control with your iPhone? The only concern I have is finding the right a bracket to attach to the back of the coralife biocube
The ReeFi can be controlled from any device that has a browser, including all smartphones, computers and even some smart fridges.

The Quanta bars on the other hand, like most other bars are an on-off type of fixtures, where the spectrum and intensity are controlled by a combination of multiple bars.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot comment about your mounting concerns.

If you’re going with ReeFi, I know Daniel Lu (ReeFi’s owner) designed and 3D printed solutions for some of his customers, which could be a solution.

As far as Quanta goes, they do provide some 3D printed designs in their website for people to use, I’m not sure if they can also speacially design or 3D print something for you though.

The Uno2’s over my frag tank are mounted with brackets I designed and 3D printed myself from PETG, as well as the Uno1 hanged over my main system’s sump.
They are solid and work just as well as the official brackets that I use over my main system.
So just in case using a 3D printed solution was a concern of yours, you can be rest assured that it would hold just fine and won’t break apart from heat or humidity.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruttall so let’s change it up. Besides your “spend twice as much for less light” Under what circumstances would you purchase Radions over ReeFi?

What lights are you using?
There are no circumstances where Radions are superior. There are 2 subjective advantages they have.

1. the software has prettier aesthetics.
2. the user prefers the completed look of their mounting system + hardware

One objective advantage is integrating with Apex. I personally think this is a useless feature for 99% of people.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are two benefits for Radions:

1. Bigger LED panels on the XR30 models. No matter what lens are used, a bigger panel will result in less shadows.

2. Can give a whiter crisp look. The LED composition on the reefi is too blue to my liking. I cannot stand the Radion Blue either, after all it is a personal preference.

Edit: I guess it only matters in an acro dominant system.

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Quanta bars on the other hand, like most other bars are an on-off type of fixtures, where the spectrum and intensity are controlled by a combination of multiple bars.

Quanta have a nice spectrum, but I wouldn't say "most bars" are on/off. At this point, even the cheapest Chinese bars have bluetooth/app control or an inline dimmer/timer.

Maybe we'll get controllable Quantas once they sell through the shipping container of lights they have and order the next round.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For OP you have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. 24"x 24 coverage is spot on with 2 Radion XR30's and perfect for that depth.

So, lots of talk about Reef-fi (and Radion bashing). Looks interesting and some pretty bold claims. However, a couple reasons IMO why would not buy one.
1) Too new a company and could be here today gone tomorrow. If not out of business, then snatched up by some deep pocket competitor to squash.
2) Seriously you are not allowed to plug into any controller power bar i.e. Apex, GHL etc. or they may be damaged from surge. Sounds like poor engineering to me.
3) They claim to be in Redmond WA but reading some of the documentation smells like another made in China light. Then of course he says "I’m an new importer and there are several US Custom’s paper work" which pretty much confirms.
4) They may be WIFI but are dependent on that company's cloud services and app to function. We don't need another second-rate Mobius. There does not seem to be any compatibility with any aquarium controller.
5) Interesting they included some LEDs like lime Ecotech tossed in the blue while omitting red/green used in a number of standard Pro light templates like the one to mimic MH or the LPS template.
6) They may have more LED's than Radion, but they only tell you the total wattage of the unit/number of LED's and not the wattage of the actual LED's. Maybe they do have more power but hey a Radion G5/G6 at full power can already scorch a 24"x24" area if incorrectly used. Guarantee there will be more stories of people roasting corals.

I get people often want to save money and go with black box China made stuff, but I learned long ago with most reef gear buy once cry once. I went to Kessils to get away from MH/T5 and they all died just over two years. I have 3 G5 XR30's Pro's (bought when they came out) on a 200g that have been flawless and just bought an XR15 for a 32g. Then again there is always used gear to be found. Sure, Mobius was sometimes a pain, but it got better and I now have MXM on Apex. I hate Ecotech pricing but IMO you get what you pay for. And hey if they really do upscale Radion that just means the G7 will be that much better when it comes out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoomonster thanks for your thoughts on this. Much appreciated. While I always care about price, I’m more focused on value. I appreciate asking this group because of the variety of opinions I get to read.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that almost all parts for our LED lights are made in China, including Radions. Reefi has parts made in China and puts them to together and does his own QC.

There are vast differences among things "made in China". Smart phones including Iphones are an example.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back