AI Hydra 52 HD and SPS

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys/gals,

I recently switched from taotronic 120 non dimmable LEDs to the new AI Hydra 52 HDs. Well actually I just switched one, wanted to make sure i actually liked the light before I switched all my lighting over. But was wondering if anyone that has used the Hydra 52s or Starting to use the Hydra 52 HD and keep prominently SPS corals, what setting you run your lights at and what have you seen best results. Thanks in advance. Right now I am running it at 14K starting at 70% intensity up to 90%intensity at middle part of day and back down to 70% before lights off, but has only been a week so not enough time to see if my acros are still keeping their colors, getting more color, or losing color.

OP
OP
acolotto

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how high awl do you guys keep your lights? I got mine about 10" awl right now, assuming it depends on the spread you need.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahoe61 is a great resource. Funny how close we are in the spectrum department.

You're a good egg. :)
how high awl do you guys keep your lights? I got mine about 10" awl right now, assuming it depends on the spread you need.

The fixture is mounted on the AI rack so about 12 inches perhaps a little less.

If I run my lights at an increased intensity my corals pale. It's a slow increase in intensity. Ramp up time is 4 hours. I have no concerns about there being enough light to color and grow acropora with the fixture. Over all I would say I am completely satisfied with the brand.

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acoloto.
I have the regular hydras over my 62 cube and i love them. I have to say took some time to get them dialed in but now are sweet. With the 52 be careful since they are superrrr powerfull and will fry your stuff. So its best to start them low and work your way up with patience. Anyways i would be nore that happy to show you my director settings if you like. Good luck

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone noticed that you cannot save presets anymore? You have to save them on your harddrive and download them back when you want them. That sucks!!!

OP
OP
acolotto

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still playing around with them but right now got them running at 100% blue royal blue uv and violet, 60% cool whites, and 20% greens and reds. And I will tell you one thing this light is amazing! I only got one for my 90 so half my tank is still being ran by taotronic 120 w leds, but put the hydra on my SPS heavy side of the tank, and the colors im getting right now are amazing! It has only been a couple weeks but man, im already seeing more of a pop of my sticks. My strawberry short cake has always been one of my favorites but has already been a dark green thats prominently red. Now since the light change it has the nice mint green color and red tips and poylps. All my acros really have been starting to get a deeper brighter color to them and i couldnt be happier. Hard to explain but this lights is awesome so far and cant wait to get a second unit so i can really mess with the storm, lunar, sunset and sunrise features.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after switching to hydras did you guys notice any positive changes?

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after switching to hydras did you guys notice any positive changes?

Im going from Biocube lighting to LED from 72 watts to 90watts. From 10k to 17500k. Including UV which I didnt have before. I am two weeks in.

Immediately noticed polyp extention. Going on two weeks in and colors are brighter (could just be the spectrum) Growth is too early to tell. All positive as far as I can tell so far, very happy.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going from Biocube lighting to LED from 72 watts to 90watts. From 10k to 17500k. Including UV which I didnt have before. I am two weeks in.

Immediately noticed polyp extention. Going on two weeks in and colors are brighter (could just be the spectrum) Growth is too early to tell. All positive as far as I can tell so far, very happy.

Just switched from kessil 360we to hydra 26hd. Going on a 5 day trip. Hopefully come back to some color!

Might be placebo, but I'm seeing slight color in corals that had none after only 24 hours of the switch.

Matt

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched from kessil 360we to hydra 26hd. Going on a 5 day trip. Hopefully come back to some color!

Might be placebo, but I'm seeing slight color in corals that had none after only 24 hours of the switch.

Matt

Keep us posted, I'm about to dump my 360WE for a couple 26hd's

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta ask the question. Why all of a sudden Im seeing so many Reefers dumping their Kessil's? They are, by all accounts, fantastic lights.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great lights, the shadow is just not to my liking in a cube, I can't supplement T5's on my tank w/o it looking like a science project or another one.

LPS tank grow great under them, my SPS tank not so much growth.

Also it's just too blue for me, I like a tad more color spectrum to get that purple T5 appeal, to achieve that color look, the spectrum and intensity are not supportive to the coral. Now this also has to do with my tank(s) aquascapes, not just the light.

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good for those considering Hydra's to understand the difference if they are also considering Kessil's from actual Kessil owners. They are still great lights for LPS and soft corals if your building your corals in a cone.

I believe Kessil has finally recognized the challenges of pendant lighting with their newest model (700). Two or four full spectrum cones are better than one focused pendant. It is better for cube tanks.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I am coming from a diy 24 led Cree 3w setup and never cared about water parameters. I went to kessil and can't keep anything from turning brown. Spent 2 months with kessil a160 then went to 360we. This is over a 17g tank too for crying out loud.

Kessil sucks for acropora. That's a fact for my tank.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kessils at 90% don't look as bright as my 52s at 50%. Although looks don't mean much. My torch and Zoas loved the kessils. My leathers and acros...not so much.

I didn't switch though I just installed a 225g tank and went with 52s over it. My 90 is still running the kessils and will probably end up being a clown habitat.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back