AI Hydra 52 HD and SPS

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kessils at 90% don't look as bright as my 52s at 50%. Although looks don't mean much. My torch and Zoas loved the kessils. My leathers and acros...not so much.

I didn't switch though I just installed a 225g tank and went with 52s over it. My 90 is still running the kessils and will probably end up being a clown habitat.

Same here. My 360we doesn't look as bright as my hydra 26hd at 40%

One thing to consider is that Zoas and palys and shrooms probably shouldn't be happy with acropora intense lighting. To see happy softies in a acropora tank probably means low intensity lighting.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby, but my zoas and LPS look fat, healthy, and colorful under my Kessils. No SPS in my tank yet, but I'm about to dive in.

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a deep blue 80 pro (48x24x16) that is only a couple months old with some zoas. I have 2 primes over it right now and i have a hydra52 HD on the way. I plan to put it between the primes long ways. Then i plan to start adding some sps.

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched from kessil 360we to hydra 26hd. Going on a 5 day trip. Hopefully come back to some color!

Might be placebo, but I'm seeing slight color in corals that had none after only 24 hours of the switch.

Matt
Hows it going? I havent hung my 52 hd yet.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it going? I havent hung my 52 hd yet.

Seeing some color in corals that had none. Nothing dramatic, but it's still in acclimation mode.

My Zoas and mushrooms looked upset, so that's probably a good sign

OP
OP
acolotto

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, a little update, so its been 2 to 3 weeks since i switched from 120w Chinese Leds to the Hydra52HDs and it really seems the acros are loving them! Colors were great before but now they really seem to pop, sorry no before pics but here are some of my sps frags looking great under the Hydras. First one is SSC, 2 is RR Asia Wolvering, 3 is RR Planet Earth. Have a ton more that are looking great but these guys are prob some of my favorite.
IMG_2789.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2795.JPG

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched my frag tank out from Kessil 360W to Hydra 26HD this week to test it out.

Wife came out of frag room and was wowed, said she didn't realize those tiny corals had such beautiful colors. Hahahaha.

Yup, going to order a few more for the display next week.

I love the control aspect of these.

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers..I also just bought this light and I am so confused on how to set it up....can anyone help me out please..it's over a 70g.

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge THANK YOU to acolotto for walking me through the set up...I used the app.

ddgtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing everyone run their 52 hd's at very high white percentages. 4'x2'tall x20"deep tank, 2 ea. hydra 52 hd. How do you manage to get your corals to have good colors at that intensity, these 52's are really powerful! If I run whites at more than 10% my corals look pale. My dark blue is at 60, light blue at 15, violet at 38, uv at 30, greens at 10 and reds at 25. This is what gives me the best colors. Ramp time of 2 hours. I also played with the graph and tweaked the percentages a bit throughout the day.

Only had them for about a week, I like them but I wish they had a wired plug for those who cannot stand the unreliability of wireless technology. The child does not always receive the settings from the parent so when I tweak the settings only the parent has them and I have to reset the child's network settings. And yes, my network is properly set up.

OP
OP
acolotto

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing everyone run their 52 hd's at very high white percentages. 4'x2'tall x20"deep tank, 2 ea. hydra 52 hd. How do you manage to get your corals to have good colors at that intensity, these 52's are really powerful! If I run whites at more than 10% my corals look pale. My dark blue is at 60, light blue at 15, violet at 38, uv at 30, greens at 10 and reds at 25. This is what gives me the best colors. Ramp time of 2 hours. I also played with the graph and tweaked the percentages a bit throughout the day.

Only had them for about a week, I like them but I wish they had a wired plug for those who cannot stand the unreliability of wireless technology. The child does not always receive the settings from the parent so when I tweak the settings only the parent has them and I have to reset the child's network settings. And yes, my network is properly set up.

It depends on the type of coral, id have to say when determining percentage to run lights at. My tank consists of mostly sps with some at the very top, middle and bottom. So i run my whites higher so i can keep sps anywhere in the tank. In doing this though the couple lps I do have, have to be kept on the bottom of the tank. If you are wanting to run the light brighter you could set all your settings to the settings you desire and then run in coral acclimation mode for a month or two and all your corals should get adjusted to the brighter lighting.

Right now i got my peak lighting at
UV: 100%
Violet: 100%
Royal Blue: 120%
Blue: 120%
Red: 25%
Green: 25%
White: 65%

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know why everytime I log into MYAI on my laptop why does my saved settings dissappear and I have to re-enter them again?..

Crna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a ecoxotic LED retrofit in my biocube hood to a hydra 26, and I love it. Noticed better growth in less than two weeks! Color and polyp extension have been fantastic.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the standard 52s and barely run them above 55%.

My eventual goal after stocking and full acclimation will probably be around 65 to 70%.

Spectrum ranges from 12 to 18k for results but it's a trade off. 12k gives you better penetration and par while 14 to 18k seems to give better coloration.

Since I'm not using the HDs, I'm not sure how the color spectrums are dialed in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back