AI Hydra repair/replacement

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got two original ai hydras that have leds out in every puck. I contacted AI and they no longer make the blue pucks, but they offered to take a look at them if I returned them for “repair”. Because they don’t make the pucks, they won’t be able to repair but they mentioned a discount on a different light depending on what kind of shape my lights are in. Has anyone ever sent a light into AI that was not repairable? What kind of discount did they offer? Thanks!

(It’s not possible to replace the burnt diodes is it?)

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to replace the diode , I just went threw this with them on my sol blues. They give you a discount on new fixtures if you send your old one into them . I sold my old ones on eBay and got the new HD”s and so far I am loving them

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got 3 hydras at my work over a 245 gallon. After a year, 2 power supplies failed. I contacted the company, hoped they would make it right, but they wouldnt help. I asked them why my 80.00 chinese black box led on another tank was outperforming their 600.00 dollar lights, and got silence. Thats my experience with them and im in the works of dumping them for an ati fixture.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to replace the diode , I just went threw this with them on my sol blues. They give you a discount on new fixtures if you send your old one into them . I sold my old ones on eBay and got the new HD”s and so far I am loving them

So the discount wasn’t worth it then if you sold them on eBay? Any tips for replacing diodes? Best I’ve found is it’s hard due how they are attached (heat slow, cool slow).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't get much/any help now that they are with EcoTech. My guess is that this will go something like this 1). you ship them to them for them to "look at" or "repair." 2). they tell you that there is nothing that they can do without ever even looking at them 3). they offer you a discount on new stuff, and 4). they have you by the shorts since they have your units and are pretty sure that if you send them in then you will also repurchase from them.

See if you can find a local radio/electronic repair guy and see if they will solder in some new diodes. This is an easy repair for people with the tools and experience. You might have to buy the diodes and take them to the shop - not hard, but takes time. Most of them will charge an hourly charge and be honest and reasonable (at least I have found).

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was hoping to get someone who has actually done this to get a value for the point of sale lights. I’ve got all my tanks down and would like to start up a nano. The ai prime is a perfect light for it, but if I send the lights in and don’t “trade” them in I have to pay shipping both ways lol. I’m pretty sure I can only trade for the new ai hydras.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid a little under $2200 for 4 SOL Blues 6 years or so ago. I was guaranteed the ability to upgrade by the AI dealer and rep... fast forward a year and a half ago... once the lights had outlived their value I called them to upgrade... They said I could upgrade to the Hydra 52s (before hds) and were going to contact me when they had the parts for me... I called again and again for over a year and was lied to repeatedly. "We don't know what's going on"... "Don't know if upgrades will still be available" ... ending with, You'll have to buy the new lights! Are you messing kidding me? I have to spend another $2400 for lights you guys guaranteed me would be upgradable and when I asked to upgrade you tell me to pound sand! I don't think so... I hope your business burns down and your CEO is trapped inside... It cost me 2 months salary to buy those lights. F, AI. End Rant.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased with the arrangement I came to with AI regarding my broken lights. I’m downsizing and only need one light now which worked in my favor. Better than the junk I thought I had.

Just letting everyone know.

MrLeavins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need the power supplies and wireless controller or director for the ai vega.

MrLeavins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am need a power supply, wireless controller or director for the vega or hydra 52, if yall know anyone that has these available.

bbrooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased with the arrangement I came to with AI regarding my broken lights. I’m downsizing and only need one light now which worked in my favor. Better than the junk I thought I had.

Just letting everyone know.
What did they do for you?

Bob agren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm heading back to halide after trying to get replacement led replacements pucks for my burned out diode on $ 2400 worth of lights! Sad isn't it?

Bob agren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have burned out diodes on my 52hds guess will have to go back halide! Sad situation $2500 down the tubes!

Bob agren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any thoughts on a which way I should go on lights on a 250 ? Led vs halide!

bbrooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not buy anything AI. They no longer stand behind their products.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid a little under $2200 for 4 SOL Blues 6 years or so ago. I was guaranteed the ability to upgrade by the AI dealer and rep... fast forward a year and a half ago... once the lights had outlived their value I called them to upgrade... They said I could upgrade to the Hydra 52s (before hds) and were going to contact me when they had the parts for me... I called again and again for over a year and was lied to repeatedly. "We don't know what's going on"... "Don't know if upgrades will still be available" ... ending with, You'll have to buy the new lights! Are you messing kidding me? I have to spend another $2400 for lights you guys guaranteed me would be upgradable and when I asked to upgrade you tell me to pound sand! I don't think so... I hope your business burns down and your CEO is trapped inside... It cost me 2 months salary to buy those lights. F, AI. End Rant.
This is why I dont like AI lights. Its not that they are crap lights. Its all the BS, false promises and lies. I was skeptical when the Sol came out advertising basically lifetime upgradability. Technology just moves too fast and its not a good way to make money if you never sell new lights because everyone just upgrades.

gandorf_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't get much/any help now that they are with EcoTech. My guess is that this will go something like this 1). you ship them to them for them to "look at" or "repair." 2). they tell you that there is nothing that they can do without ever even looking at them 3). they offer you a discount on new stuff, and 4). they have you by the shorts since they have your units and are pretty sure that if you send them in then you will also repurchase from them.

See if you can find a local radio/electronic repair guy and see if they will solder in some new diodes. This is an easy repair for people with the tools and experience. You might have to buy the diodes and take them to the shop - not hard, but takes time. Most of them will charge an hourly charge and be honest and reasonable (at least I have found).
exactly what happened to me... new HD64 not wifi compatable... I hate it....i am looking for 52HD repair parts now.... or replacement 52Hd's

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back