AI Hydra vs. Hydra FiftyTwo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Joe from our tech team runs 3 AI Hydra LED lights over his reef. So who better to try out Aqua Illumination's latest innovation, the Hydra FiftyTwo?

Find out what makes the FiftyTwo so special in Joe's review — Aqua Illumination Hydra FifityTwo: That's a LOT of light!

hydra01.jpg

hydra02.jpg

hydra03.jpg

hydra05.jpg

hydra07.jpg

hydra08.jpg

Read Aqua Illumination Hydra FifityTwo: That's a LOT of light!

beach chair

View Badges
Reaction score
Great review. AI really needs to work on their leg stand-offs. I haven't seen a single person with them at the incredibly low height they are set for. Everyone rigs up some contraption like in the shots above (although the one above is much higher than I have seen). A set with vertical adjustability would really improve their product.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Great review. AI really needs to work on their leg stand-offs. I haven't seen a single person with them at the incredibly low height they are set for. Everyone rigs up some contraption like in the shots above (although the one above is much higher than I have seen). A set with vertical adjustability would really improve their product.

Thanks! You're not the first—or second... or third person to tell us they'd like to see taller legs. For DIYers like Joe (our reviewer here), it's no biggie... for the rest of us, it would certainly be nice to have other options. Thanks for reading and weighing in!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes great review! Sharing on FB!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't see the "disco" ball effect with the Hydra 52's?

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
I have the regular hydra over a nano cube and I don't see any type of disco. I would think that more leds help it even better

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I did not notice any "disco" effect with the Hydra 52 in my tank. Having all the colors on every LED puck definitely helps to reduce/eliminate it.

Even with the regular Hydra, the disco effect is pretty well muted compared to other LED's due to their diffused TIR lens. Do note that the more surface agitation there is, the more noticeable the disco effect has as a turbulent surface will refract the light more.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back