AI Prime vs Hydra 32 (distance)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking up some info. It seems the AI Prime covers 24x24. The Hydra 32 covers 24x24. It seems the 2 sets of lights on the Hydra 32 are almost 6" apart. Wouldn't that be more like 24x30 for the spread with higher Par in the middle where it overlaps? (unless they angled the lights slightly inward so they cover the same 24x24?)

The 64 says coverage is 30x30 (with 4 lights over 12"). Shouldn't it be 24x30? Or once again, are they positioning the lights so they are angled outward?

Just wondering how 4 primes, 2 hydra 32's or 1 Hydra 64 are set up for coverage area vs PAR.

Thanks

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking up some info. It seems the AI Prime covers 24x24. The Hydra 32 covers 24x24. It seems the 2 sets of lights on the Hydra 32 are almost 6" apart. Wouldn't that be more like 24x30 for the spread with higher Par in the middle where it overlaps? (unless they angled the lights slightly inward so they cover the same 24x24?)

The 64 says coverage is 30x30 (with 4 lights over 12"). Shouldn't it be 24x30? Or once again, are they positioning the lights so they are angled outward?

Just wondering how 4 primes, 2 hydra 32's or 1 Hydra 64 are set up for coverage area vs PAR.

Thanks
I have 3 hydra64s surrounding 2 250w halides on a 6 foot tank. I promise you that a single hydra64 will not cover a 30"x30" area very well(probably good enough for softies). Maybe they meant 30cm x 30cm

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at Neptune Sky originally but don't like the Radions mount (euro brace tank) where it just snugs and tipsy. I set up the AI HMS and it looks good. Not tipsy. A little blocky looking but I'm OK with that. 36x36 tank but don't really need it to illuminate right up to the glass but would like one easy inexpensive solution. Just seemed like 2 brackets and 4 primes would cover the footprint but to reduce wires was thinking two 32's. If I could easily hook the Sky to the HMS bar I think that would be perfect.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals are you looking to keep? Honestly, for the money, I think there are better options available. Others can give specific suggestions but I imagine more of a panel than pucks would be advised. Don't get me wrong my hydra64s have been very dependable(zero issues), just not impressed by the shadowing and disco ball effect. I placed diffusers below mine to even out the light

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals are you looking to keep? Honestly, for the money, I think there are better options available. Others can give specific suggestions but I imagine more of a panel than pucks would be advised. Don't get me wrong my hydra64s have been very dependable(zero issues), just not impressed by the shadowing and disco ball effect. I placed diffusers below mine to even out the light
I'm looking for down the road light so I don't have to buy more etc..Starting tank as FO then would probably add torches. Torches look the best for motion.

edit....BTW...I see everyone complain about the Mobius app and Kessil shimmer so I'm skipping those. I think Atlantic might be small for the size/cost but would have been interested.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone comes in with recommendations. I forget the names or details but I keep hearing only good things about photon something and reef something something. Both are reasonably priced,panel style and highly praised. Sorry I can't think of the complete names

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back