Ai hydras 52 non hd worth it?

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got offered 4 52 non hd for 600. Is it worth it? Problem is no controler or director.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personaly, I prefer the chipset of the non HD over the HD. Can't you control the no HD via AI Director?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know yet. Trying to find one or the other
Why not just pick up the phone an ask AI themselves. I think that would erase all doubt. I'm pretty sure they are compatible but not 100% sure. If they are, that is a freat deal for those lights.

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just pick up the phone an ask AI themselves. I think that would erase all doubt. I'm pretty sure they are compatible but not 100% sure. If they are, that is a freat deal for those lights.

Oh the deal is real 4 =52 $600. Ohh with the rail. So it would be a good buy? Now to find a director for it

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, at $150/light, that is like black box prices, except you get more power and a better chip set.

Fumanchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal do it if your serious, I'd go half with u if necessary if theres to many for you . Also the controller is cheap usually 50 bucks used

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, at $150/light, that is like black box prices, except you get more power and a better chip set.
Yeah the guy is leaving the hobby and just got them out of the tank and i was serving he's house and I offered 600 he said yes. Got lucky I guess

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal do it if your serious, I'd go half with u if necessary if theres to many for you . Also the controller is cheap usually 50 bucks used
Lol cool but will use them all in a 200g set up. Looking for a director if you know someone is selling let me know

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it not basically the same light as the prime but with more pucks? If that is the case it should be wifi controllable same as the prime. (built in wifi). Not super familiar with the 52 but I have a non HD Prime and I don't need a director, just the app on my phone or WiFi direct from my computer.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you dont want those lights. Since you made a deal already, go get them. And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll give you the same amount for them and dispose of them respectfully.. ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you dont want those lights. Since you made a deal already, go get them. And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll give you the same amount for them and dispose of them respectfully.. ;Smuggrin
Hahaha. Gotcha[emoji6]

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it not basically the same light as the prime but with more pucks? If that is the case it should be wifi controllable same as the prime. (built in wifi). Not super familiar with the 52 but I have a non HD Prime and I don't need a director, just the app on my phone or WiFi direct from my computer.
Can you explain that again to a bummy like me...[emoji106]

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my understanding with the seller. He told my i need a ai director or a ai control to make them work. Dont know since I don't own one.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my understanding with the seller. He told my i need a ai director or a ai control to make them work. Dont know since I don't own one.
My ai prime has built in WiFi. All I had to do was download the app to my phone, open the app, search for the lights, then I was able to control them just using my phone. When using my desktop computer I had to go to the web site which was listed on the card that came with the light and then was able to control the light. Maybe try calling AI and see if they can give you some more info. Or at least more detailed information than I can. Sounds like a good deal either way. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
reef4u

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ai prime has built in WiFi. All I had to do was download the app to my phone, open the app, search for the lights, then I was able to control them just using my phone. When using my desktop computer I had to go to the web site which was listed on the card that came with the light and then was able to control the light. Maybe try calling AI and see if they can give you some more info. Or at least more detailed information than I can. Sounds like a good deal either way. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Great info! will call asap.yeah called the guy and will pic up lights tomorrow. Very excited

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I was just doing some research on the hydra 52 lights. Looks like the non-HD version that you are looking at DOES require the director. In the HD version it was built in like the prime is. Either way I would go for it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back