AI Nero 5 -- Can we get video of it working in a tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nero 5 looks to be based off the Waveline Puck -- I have no doubt it's been improved dramatically, but the Waveline was a complete failure all across the board. Especially considering it too, was a high GPH pump, yet completely failed to deliver any flow.

All the videos of it's gadgetry are awesome... Don't get me wrong... But I need to see it in tank generating some extreme flow. All the programmability in the world means nothing if it can't push water.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nero 5 looks to be based off the Waveline Puck -- I have no doubt it's been improved dramatically, but the Waveline was a complete failure all across the board. Especially considering it too, was a high GPH pump, yet completely failed to deliver any flow.

All the videos of it's gadgetry are awesome... Don't get me wrong... But I need to see it in tank generating some extreme flow. All the programmability in the world means nothing if it can't push water.

Have you seen this? Also intriguing.

https://www.fish-street.com/coral-box-rn-1-reverse-nano-pump

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually I have! Reef Octopus also has one that looks promising. There's a whole bunch of them coming out lately -- which is great!

My problem is I've spent more on pumps than ANYTHING else in the hobby. You name it, it's let me down -- Except Tunze... MP10's weren't that great to me, flow was not only narrow but it wasn't powerful enough, couple that with about 1/4 of them breaking and leeching rust in the tank and I moved on. Gyre 230's didn't mix the water like I wanted. Sicce Voyagers were okay, needed more flow. Sicce Xstreams were pretty cool but needed more power out of them.

Finally got Tunze pumps and I have what I would consider good flow. I may end up grabbing a Tunze 6040 to round out the flow I have and get the spots 2 pumps just can't reach.. But I figured I love trying new things, and I like the low profile idea of this pump.. So I'd like to see it in action before spending another $300 on a pump that's not worth it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have! Reef Octopus also has one that looks promising. There's a whole bunch of them coming out lately -- which is great!

My problem is I've spent more on pumps than ANYTHING else in the hobby. You name it, it's let me down -- Except Tunze... MP10's weren't that great to me, flow was not only narrow but it wasn't powerful enough, couple that with about 1/4 of them breaking and leeching rust in the tank and I moved on. Gyre 230's didn't mix the water like I wanted. Sicce Voyagers were okay, needed more flow. Sicce Xstreams were pretty cool but needed more power out of them.

Finally got Tunze pumps and I have what I would consider good flow. I may end up grabbing a Tunze 6040 to round out the flow I have and get the spots 2 pumps just can't reach.. But I figured I love trying new things, and I like the low profile idea of this pump.. So I'd like to see it in action before spending another $300 on a pump that's not worth it.

I dont thing there is "one" pump that can work for you, or anyone else. As we know, different tanks have different needs; I use a Vortech MP40 to get a nice stream across the entire tank, a Jebao CP-40 to mix up the other side, and two PP4's to kill dead spots behind my rockwork- and the tank is only 70g. Depending on the stocking (species) and layout of the tank, different combos of pumps work. I find all of these to be reliable, with no issues in my 3 years with Vortech or 2 years with the other ones. Jebao seems like a particularly good option, at a great price point and with enough modes to get by.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont thing there is "one" pump that can work for you, or anyone else. As we know, different tanks have different needs; I use a Vortech MP40 to get a nice stream across the entire tank, a Jebao CP-40 to mix up the other side, and two PP4's to kill dead spots behind my rockwork- and the tank is only 70g. Depending on the stocking (species) and layout of the tank, different combos of pumps work. I find all of these to be reliable, with no issues in my 3 years with Vortech or 2 years with the other ones. Jebao seems like a particularly good option, at a great price point and with enough modes to get by.

Agreed. So far I do feel confident I have found one brand I like for pumps though. Tunze uses magnets that don't rust in salt water, they have a 5 year warranty and I've seen roger back a 15 year old item once.. Customer service like nobody out there. Products that deliver more than promised, etc etc.

BUT, I do agree with what you said. It's a mix that will deliver, and I am hoping this little pump might hit some of the spots my pumps cant, and fit where my pumps cant. Tunze are great, but they are a little beefy. I have considered the 6040 too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back