AI Prime 16 HD behind a laptop.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am setting up a pico aquarium on my desk. It will be 9.75" tall and 7.75" wide and long. I will be using an AI Prime 16 HD for it, and plan to have it just above the height of the aquarium.

So anyways, my laptop will at times be in relatively close proximity to the light I suppose. I held my hand to the Prime before and it did not seem to emanate too much heat, so it seems like so long as I don't have my laptop actually ever touching the Prime unit itself, things should be fine. However, I am still kind of worried.

Should I really be super worried? Is it mostly fine? Should I have my light higher (so the Prime can also act as a desk lamp! XD)?

I am planning to keep softies or *maybe* LPS, but let's just presume I set the intensity to be able to handle SPS or whatever coral requires a lot of light. And they will be placed on the bottom of the tank, rather than on a rock or something. So I presume I don't need to set the intensity of the Prime to be super high, but probably not super low either.

But yeah. Recommendations? Only reason I became so worried is because my Prime burnt a hole in my couch in like 5 to 10 seconds, but that was because I had it facing down against the couch when I plugged it in. First ever time handling a Prime, no idea that was gonna happen.

Thanks in advance!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would do anything to a laptop. It definitely won't heat it up.

However, I will say that a prime mounted just above the height of the tank at that size is going to either fry the corals or be complete overkill since you would have to turn it dramatically down to not have a laser beam of death. If it is mounted 12 or 13 inches above the surface then that is fine. But, at that height on that size of a tank, you would get be lighting an area far bigger than the tank which again makes me think you would be better off saving money with a smaller light like a kessil a80.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would do anything to a laptop. However, I will say that a prime mounted just above the height of the tank at that size is going to either fry the corals or be complete overkill since you would have to turn it dramatically down to not have a laser beam of death. If it is mounted 12 or 13 inches above the surface then that is fine.
Lazer beam of death lollllll. My only consideration is if it is 12-13 inches above, it might be a bit annoying presuming the light may shine-ish into my eyes. Then again, I do sit and stare at my current tank with an AI around the same height all the time, so maybe it is not really as big a deal as I am making it out to be. I think this may end up being the best option, yeah. Thanks for your recommendation.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back