AI Prime 16 HD on 29g questions

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought an AI Prime 16 HD for my 29-gallon aquarium. I wanted to know what you think about using just one of these in this tank. Will it be enough to successfully support LPS and Soft corals mostly LPS? And what settings you would recommend for a single light on this size tank. I would only be looking to light an area of approximately 24" length x 9" depth inside the tank which leads me to believe it should be fine.

Thoughts?

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a single 16 HD on my 29g. Dimensions 30x 12.5 x 18. Corners didn't get much light, so I just pulled some things in a bit more towards the center 2/3rds. Zoas thrived, chalice did fine, Cyphastrea died, and Montipora did pretty good. I recently upgraded to a second one and now the whole tank is lit up.
I keep mine at 8" above water, using BRS AB+ at 100% (with one, 60% with two).
One will work. You can always upgrade later if you want.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mount it higher to get the spread you like! I’ve seen a single ai prime hd on a 40g breeder with the 18” flex arm so it’s definitely doable! Just keep in mind Coral placement and u can always ramp intensity. You could keep sps in the center too and always have the upgrade option in the future!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep for lps and softies itnwill work well. As said mount it high 12-14" to get light to the ends of the tank and even out the spread. A PAR meter is best for setting up the light but I would start with all blues and UV on 70-80%, red and green at 5% and white to your liking 20-30% looks good to my eye. You can always add a 2nd Prime in the future if you need more light.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back