AI Prime 16HD and Aqueon Mounting

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I imagine this has been asked in the past, but couldn’t find a helpful thread.. I’m planning to upgrade the lighting in my 40G Breeder from USA Orbit Marine LEDs to (2) AI Prime 16HDs this week.

I’ll also be purchasing mounting brackets and diffusers in the attached photos. My questions are

1. Has anyone had issues with AI mounting brackets on a Aqueon tank? I have some concerns about fitting the mount along the rimmed tank. I’d prefer not to have to cut the top support to mount my lights.
2. Does anyone have experience with the 3DReefing diffusers? The main reason for these is because my tank is located in my office (work from home) and would like to limit the light spill outside of my tank since I spend 8+hours/day in there lol

IMG_7249.jpeg IMG_7248.jpeg

wzf106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the AI tank mount will fit on a rimmed tank, i had one a while back. Never used the diffuser though

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All i know is the AI mounts kinda suck. I did the same thing…went from Current to 2 AIs on a 40 breeder. I ended up tossing the mounts that came with AI and kept the plastic mounting brackets off my Current lights. Kinda Frankenstein’d the mounts using parts from both and they fit fine on my 40 breeder

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i know is the AI mounts kinda suck. I did the same thing…went from Current to 2 AIs on a 40 breeder. I ended up tossing the mounts that came with AI and kept the plastic mounting brackets off my Current lights. Kinda Frankenstein’d the mounts using parts from both and they fit fine on my 40 breeder
what made you toss them, did they not feel secure or a lack of range?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what made you toss them, did they not feel secure or a lack of range?
The part that mounts to the tank only uses one screw which causes the frame to tilt left or right. The ones i used with my Current lights has two screws and are much more secure. The mounts have plenty of range / mobility to reach anywhere you might need

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part that mounts to the tank only uses one screw which causes the frame to tilt left or right. The ones i used with my Current lights has two screws and are much more secure. The mounts have plenty of range / mobility to reach anywhere you might need
Ahh that makes sense, don’t want that issue.. crazy that a brand like AI hasn’t fixed this. Thanks for the heads up!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh that makes sense, don’t want that issue.. crazy that a brand like AI hasn’t fixed this. Thanks for the heads up!
Definitely! From my experience, two Primes on a 40b is enough for softies, lps, and a couple sps depending on placement…three would be much better. I’m sure u could do wall to wall sps with three. Good luck!

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the goosneck mounts on my systems. I tried the metal ones.
I run 5 on my 45 and 2 on my remote 30 nem tank. The mount is attatched to the 80 and works well.
20230709_093302.jpg
Thanks, the photos def help! I’ve been trying to figure out if the rim/support would give me any issues with mounting (specifically the inner lip). Most online reviews and videos have the fancy rimless tank setups lol. Looks like it should all play out well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back