Ai Prime 16HD light settings

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a good idea to commit to one light or the other. The nice thing about the AI Prime is that if need be you can sell it on Ebay for dang close to what you paid for it. People love those lights.

Now let's address your water parameters.

PH and salinity are fine
Temp is a little low but if everything seems to be happy you can leave that be but one degree higher may not hurt.
Calcium is okay but 500 is a touch high. Mine is actually 500 too but I'm shooting for 480. Alkalinity is quite a bit higher than I'd like to see it. I shoot for in between 9 & 10. Magnesium I like to see at about 1350, which will also help to buffer the calcium and alkalinity levels so you don't get run away numbers like that. Phosphates @ .25 are pretty high. I like to keep mine below .10, perfect # would be .05. Nitrates are pretty high too, things will be okay but if you can get those lower that will only help. 5-20ppm is a good area to be in. You have a skimmer so that should be helping to keep those numbers down, since your phosphates and nitrates are both pretty high I would ask about feeding. How often and how much you feed? Feeding is one of the quickest ways to run up levels of phosphates and nitrates. Depending on what you feed if it's frozen you can soak it in a small cup with a little tank water or warm rodi water and drain off the excess water and only feed the food portion. Flake food is usually very high in those components as well and if possible shy away from flake or maybe just not use it so often. The RODI water is good. If you're not adding buffers I'm wondering how your Alkalinity got so high as well calcium being a little high. You may want to use a different salt mix. I use premixed saltwater which I'm not suggesting you do I just use it because I only have a 13.5 gallon system so it's cost effective and time saving to use pre-mixed ocean water. I can do some research for you and find a good salt mix if you were thinking about switching. If you have an established reef you don't need to test for these a lot maybe once a month but it's good to know your Ammonia and Nitrite levels are at Zero or very close to it. Lastly I will say I'm not trying to tell you how to run your tank merely giving some suggestions to perfect your water conditions. Another way to lower phosphates and nitrates is by using Chaetomorpha algae. Chaeto can be grown in a sump or refugium and it photosynthesizes and removes phosphates, iron and nitrates. You do need a small grow light over the Chaeto to aid in photosynthesis. Another way to lower phosphates is to use a filter sock with some phoslock. You should activley measure your phosphates with this method though as you can strip ALL of the phosphates from the water column and that's not what you want to do. Good luck bud, I wish you continued growth. I'm here to help if I can.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Ive sure been wanting to get an HOB fuge with the chaeto but I’m just going wait to upgrade my tank to an innovative marine int really soon. For now I added a bag of chemipure elite for the gfo. I’ve never heard of a phoslock- now I wanna look into that and possibly get one. I do understand that anemes need a little phosphates in the tank which are crucial to the survival of the endosymbiotic zooanthellea in the tissues of the anemone. I just switched from noe marine Brightwell to the Red Sea reef salt. I like it a lot it seems to have helped some growth and seems to be accurate on the measurements. I was actually buying natural ocean water from one of my LFS’s. It became too much of a chore and a far drive away from my home. With the pandemic and no money at the time, made it hard to commit to. So I fessed up and l learned to make my own water. Based on BRStv suggestions and testing videos for best salt mixes out there, I chose the Red Sea. I feed the fish once a day in the morning. The coral feeding maybe 2-3 times a week. Just this week I started to strain my frozen foods to reduce pollution from all of the junk added to the frozen blocks. I’ve been spot feeding the anem small bits of krill as well as some days switching to oyster feast (just to help it to get its zooanthellea back since I noticed it start changing colors from orange and green to pink, violet and brown/beige on some of its tentacles. I feed sometimes reef roids for everyone, but I hate how it turns my glass and my sand red. I did actually raise my temp to 78 funny you should say so. I thought the same thing. I wonder if the alk and Ca went up because of the salt change? I’ve been testing my phosphates but I don’t trust this API test kit for accuracy. My 4 LFS stores nearest to me dont have any other brand so Ive been waiting for my time off to get to the LFS that has a salifert kit. One LFS had a Red Sea test kit but it was $50- lol hard pass. I actually was able to match the look of the lighting spectrum to the pixie onto the HD Prime. The anem looks really happy now and it’s only been 2 days and it’s bubbles are coming back. Im leaving it on the settings I’ve made and waiting to gently acclimate to and brighter setting for the rest of the tank.Im quite proud of how its gotten a lot better. I realize through all of this that I want to reduce all of this every 3-5 day maintenance, bite the bullet and upgrade to the 75 gal Innovative Marine INT with a sump. I figure so far after my research that all I want to start out with for now would be the filter sock sump, protein skimmer, refugium, and ATO. Ill figure out the rest later.

IMG_3206.JPG

Last edited:

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only in day 18 of my cycle. New tank. Not new to the hobby. I got into it when I was 18 and did it for about 8 years. Had all kinds of cool sh** over the years. Couple species specific/habitat tanks and a few reef tanks. Had seahorses for a while and a tank with a couple Angler Fish. Those guys were really cool. I stopped about 7 years back though but I just decided a month ago I wanted a reef tank again. Small setup; 15 gallon column tank but it's pretty dope and I'm really gonna focus on corals. I want a stunner show tank. Spared no expense. I used to test very infrequently and dos very sporadically. I never ran into any trouble with it but I'm doing the complete opposite this time around I have a ton of different test kits major and minor elements and I went hog-wild buying additives. I have about nine different products from Brightwell Aquatics that I am really excited to test out. I also have the Red Sea AB+ that I'm excited about too. Can't wait till the cycle finishes and I can start filling this tank up!
How long you gonna cycle for or until? Sounds extreme with the kits and elements. I have a little bag full of KZ slow time release stuff that they stoped making. I just put in a tiny chunk of the amino acid tab in a high flow area in my sump above the return. What elements did you buy? and what test kits did you get? I use Red Sea and Salifert for the most part. I dont trust the Red Sea Mg tester though. I use the salifert for that.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is always fun! Might I suggest though making a DIY sump with a 20 long or something like that? Reason I say so is because you can go to Lowe's/Home Depot and get pieces of glass or acrylic cut use DAP aquarium sealant (also available there) and have a refugium in the center compartment. I used to do that on my larger aquariums. I can draw something out for you to make sense of it but basically it's 3 compartments. First one only needs to be like 4ish" wide and half 3/5s up to the top center one make as wide as possible as that's where you would put your refugium mud or substrate of choice, Chaeto... Mangroves whatever and the then last compartment 6ish" wide 3/4 up to the top and that's where you put your return pump and plumb it up to the main tank from down below. You can use filter socks on the hose coming from the overflow to the first compartment and put you skimmer in which ever compartment you choose. I would suggest the first sonthe bubbles have time to settle out and don't go straight into the main tank. Maybe make the first compartment wider than 4" so you can fit the skimmer. All depends on what type of skimmer you get. I use all Red Sea test kits, they are expensive though. I just bought all mine online though. Amazon Prime, free shipping man! Always cheaper online. In fact I bought almost EVERYTHING for my tank online! You do want phosphates that's correct. I like to keep mine around .05 but they stay around .08. Phoslock is a media you put in a filter sock but you have to be careful with it cuz it can strip all your phosphates right out of the water column. I have some but I don't run it. My tank is only 3 weeks old though so it's still finding its bearings. I use premixed saltwater aka ocean water but that's because my tank is only 13.5 gallons total so 10% water change is only like a 1.5 gallons so it makes sense financially and saves time. BRS has great videos. I trust almost everything those guys say! Lol I have about 10 different additives I use from Brightwell Aquatics and 4 different Red Sea test kits. Switching salts would cause your Alkalinity, Calcium and other elements to rise especially if it's fortifoed salt. Just make sure you stay on top of testing if you are dosing any of the majors. Much easier to add than remove. Again man any questions I'm happy to help you out. I love this hobby and have learned alot over the years.

IMG_20200602_182327.jpg IMG_20200603_113526.jpg 1591423477256561569413346521567.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long you gonna cycle for or until? Sounds extreme with the kits and elements. I have a little bag full of KZ slow time release stuff that they stoped making. I just put in a tiny chunk of the amino acid tab in a high flow area in my sump above the return. What elements did you buy? and what test kits did you get? I use Red Sea and Salifert for the most part. I dont trust the Red Sea Mg tester though. I use the salifert for that.
I actually just completed the cycle 2 days ago. I was so happy! 20 days. I use the Red Sea Foundation Pro, Algae Control, Marine Care & Trace colors. So I can test for the 3 majors Ca, Alk, Mg. Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates, Iodine, Iron & Potassium. I need to get a Strontium test kit from Salifert then I can test for all of my additives except the Borochrom. Salifert used to make a Boron test kit but I guess the self life is crap on them so they stopped making them. I dose Ferrion (iron) for the Chaeto and Mangroves. But you shouldn't dose it if you're phosphates are over .10 because it can cause runaway algae growth, hense why I shoot for .05. There's a handful of others but you can see them in the pic so I won't list them all lol. I just installed an air driven skimmer today so I'm excited to see how it works.

Last edited:

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is always fun! Might I suggest though making a DIY sump with a 20 long or something like that? Reason I say so is because you can go to Lowe's/Home Depot and get pieces of glass or acrylic cut use DAP aquarium sealant (also available there) and have a refugium in the center compartment. I used to do that on my larger aquariums. I can draw something out for you to make sense of it but basically it's 3 compartments. First one only needs to be like 4ish" wide and half 3/5s up to the top center one make as wide as possible as that's where you would put your refugium mud or substrate of choice, Chaeto... Mangroves whatever and the then last compartment 6ish" wide 3/4 up to the top and that's where you put your return pump and plumb it up to the main tank from down below. You can use filter socks on the hose coming from the overflow to the first compartment and put you skimmer in which ever compartment you choose. I would suggest the first sonthe bubbles have time to settle out and don't go straight into the main tank. Maybe make the first compartment wider than 4" so you can fit the skimmer. All depends on what type of skimmer you get. I use all Red Sea test kits, they are expensive though. I just bought all mine online though. Amazon Prime, free shipping man! Always cheaper online. In fact I bought almost EVERYTHING for my tank online! You do want phosphates that's correct. I like to keep mine around .05 but they stay around .08. Phoslock is a media you put in a filter sock but you have to be careful with it cuz it can strip all your phosphates right out of the water column. I have some but I don't run it. My tank is only 3 weeks old though so it's still finding its bearings. I use premixed saltwater aka ocean water but that's because my tank is only 13.5 gallons total so 10% water change is only like a 1.5 gallons so it makes sense financially and saves time. BRS has great videos. I trust almost everything those guys say! Lol I have about 10 different additives I use from Brightwell Aquatics and 4 different Red Sea test kits. Switching salts would cause your Alkalinity, Calcium and other elements to rise especially if it's fortifoed salt. Just make sure you stay on top of testing if you are dosing any of the majors. Much easier to add than remove. Again man any questions I'm happy to help you out. I love this hobby and have learned alot over the years.

IMG_20200602_182327.jpg IMG_20200603_113526.jpg 1591423477256561569413346521567.jpg
Aww your tank is so pretty already! I love your clown. Gonna be gorgeous. yea I dont have time or space to build a sump. id rather just get it done and buy one. Too much for me with the cutting the glass and doing the sealant etc.. Good to know about the salts. I figured thats what it was to raise my alk and Ca. I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions. Im not dosing anything into the tank other than the amino acid slow time release tab.I will def hit you up when I have questions. Im just so happy to see my bta bubble back up again-

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just completed the cycle 2 days ago. I was so happy! 20 days. I use the Red Sea Foundation Pro, Algae Control, Marine Care & Trace colors. So I can test for the 3 majors Ca, Alk, Mg. Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates, Iodine, Iron & Potassium. I need to get a Strontium test kit from Salifert then I can test for all of my additives except the Borochrom. Salifert used to make a Boron test kit but I guess the self life is crap on them so they stopped making them. I dose Ferrion (iron) for the Chaeto and Mangroves. But you shouldn't dose it if you're phosphates are over .10 because it can cause runaway algae growth, hense why I shoot for .05. There's a handful of others but you can see them in the pic so I won't list them all lol. I just installed an air driven skimmer today so I'm excited to see how it works.
Wow- ok I have to look into the iodine, potassium, strontium, and borochrom. How do you adjust those?! dosing?

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww your tank is so pretty already! I love your clown. Gonna be gorgeous. yea I dont have time or space to build a sump. id rather just get it done and buy one. Too much for me with the cutting the glass and doing the sealant etc.. Good to know about the salts. I figured thats what it was to raise my alk and Ca. I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions. Im not dosing anything into the tank other than the amino acid slow time release tab.I will def hit you up when I have questions. Im just so happy to see my bta bubble back up again-
Thanks!! Building a sump is not as much work as it sounds but if you got the money when you're ready just buying a sump is a heck of a lot easier. Wish you were close by I would totally build you one! My buddy set up a 55 about 5 months ago and I helped him get his all tightened up with the finishing touches. That's what actually got me wanting one again! LOL Thanks, the Clown is awesome. I've always wanted a black one. That same buddy actually gave him to me. Freebie! And like 4 corals and an anemone. Nice guy huh! Aminos are supposed to be awesome for corals to help with polyp extension and overall health. I use Red Sea AB+ which I believe has Aminos in it already. I gotta double check, if not I'll be buying some from Brightwell. Idk why but I'm obsessed with their product line up. It's probably the pretty labels. LOL I'm really glad your anemone snapped back to life for you, I felt really bad. It always sucks watching something die. Not just because it's usually $100 bill (or more) but cuz we like them, they're our pets. I just changed my spectrum settings on my AI Prime, been having trouble with my corals, 2 bleaching and others, not opening. I did put them in a little early in the cycle but now that is cycled they should be doing fine and they're not. First I thought maybe water flow but that is good (I have a wave maker) and it's actually dialed back. 8 is full I have it set on 2. Love that thing though, Jebao SW2, inexpensive for a wave maker & controller. My magnesium (1280) and alkalinity (8) are a little low but shouldn't be causing that. So lastly was my light intensity. Lucky for me the owners of my LFS love me and the guy said he would share his settings with me. Said it took him a year to get it right. Just switched to them this afternoon so we'll see how the next few days go Seems to be helping already though, my big zoo colony I don't think one of them is closed. My Ricordeas are so tiny, they shrunk right up over the last week and a half ☹ Hopefully that's all it was and they all bounce back now.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- ok I have to look into the iodine, potassium, strontium, and borochrom. How do you adjust those?! dosing?
Yea just dosing. They give a target levels on the bottles of each and I simply test and if they're low I dose according to the instructions. It is a lot of testing in the beginning but as I become more accustomed to it and learn what my tank uses it'll become easier and less frequent. My wife was asking me the other night if I had to test it constantly lol "No, just in the beginning".

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just got rid of a 50 gallon fresh water set up yesterday. I purchased a Red Sea Reefer XL300, 80 gallons. Hydra 64 lamp, RedSea skimmer 600, 2 MP40 wave makers, Vectra L2 pump, and the set up comes with a sump. Also got the BRStv Dual reactors for gfo and carbon. Cant wait to get some Chaeto going later on too. Im not sure when to start the Chaeto. Sump has a built in ato, mechanical non computerized which I kinda wanted the Tunze Osmolator. Sucks about your corals bleaching out. Possibly too strong of settings and needing acclimation. Im glad my anemone is back too but now theres this powder algae. I notice that its growing where the light hits. Theres a shadow from the return nozzles and theres no algae growing in the shadows. So its a good sign I suppose. I caught a glimpse of my first couple of dots of coralline growing! Im so excited. You got an anemone in that new tank already, the one your friend gave you?

IMG_4403.JPG

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that the black live sand? I bought some too for my 80 gal. Im so stoked for that look.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just got rid of a 50 gallon fresh water set up yesterday. I purchased a Red Sea Reefer XL300, 80 gallons. Hydra 64 lamp, RedSea skimmer 600, 2 MP40 wave makers, Vectra L2 pump, and the set up comes with a sump. Also got the BRStv Dual reactors for gfo and carbon. Cant wait to get some Chaeto going later on too. Im not sure when to start the Chaeto. Sump has a built in ato, mechanical non computerized which I kinda wanted the Tunze Osmolator. Sucks about your corals bleaching out. Possibly too strong of settings and needing acclimation. Im glad my anemone is back too but now theres this powder algae. I notice that its growing where the light hits. Theres a shadow from the return nozzles and theres no algae growing in the shadows. So its a good sign I suppose. I caught a glimpse of my first couple of dots of coralline growing! Im so excited. You got an anemone in that new tank already, the one your friend gave you?

IMG_4403.JPG
Yes corals definitely needed to acclimate but I put them in too soon so that's my bad. They're starting to come backcnow though. My parameters are virtually perfect. That 80 gal RedSea Reefer sounds like an awesome score!! Bet you're excited about that! I have seen that algae before... I don't remember what it is though. And yes I do have an anemone; the one my buddy gave me, it's a Seabae anemone and it's all white but it's starting to get purple tips. It's pretty cool. I have had an absolute nightmare over the last few days with my tank. Bought several things from my lfs and it's not their fault I think it was just dumb luck but two of the corals I got haven't opened yet and it's 7 days. I believe that's an issue with my current though so I have another Jebao SW2 coming tomorrow. 5 out of my 15 snails just stopped moving around, I got an orchid dottyback on Sunday and she was great up until yesterday morning when I found her under a rock aspirating. She came down with a bacterial infection. I tried to save her with some meds and a quarantine tank but it was too late for her. I'm treating my tank tomorrow with some Brightwell fish recover to prevent my clown from getting whatever she had. Then to top it all off I picked up an emerald crab yesterday that i caught eating my zooanthids! Pretty ticked about that . Soon as I can catch the little ********** he's going right back to the fish store!

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the black live sand? I bought some too for my 80 gal. Im so stoked for that look.
Yaaa! Black Aragalive. I love the black sand. It's just a unique look. You don't see it often. So other than all the BS I just mentioned everything is going well. I've been on a buying spree the last few days lol I bought two "open box" Hanna checkers, Phosphates and Alkalinity, the 2nd Jebao and replaced my Rio 200 that's driving my refugium with a Rio 600 oh and an air driven mini skimmer that fits in my Fuge. Works really well, I'm impressed. I'm about to buy like a dozen frags off ebay. GWCorals is the guy. Hes got some really nice stuff and it stays pretty inexpensive compared to what you'd pay at the LFS. It's $50 for shipping but he combinds it so that's why I'm just gonna get like 10 things to make it worth it. $5-$20 per frag + $50 shipping. I'm gonna drop like $300-$400. Im a bartender and have been laid off since March. I went on unemployment March 20th I got one payment but then they just stopped! I finally got ahold of the state Tuesday and they released the rest of them... Dude I got like 7 grand all at once! Boo yaaa baby! Can't wait to pick up some show pieces! I'm excited to hear about your 80gal! When are you setting it up?

Last edited:

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg same here with the UI check! they finally sent the card! Did you get your frags from Ebay yet? I set it up now. been so occupied with setting it up and adding more anemones to my 20 gal. I want a dominant anemone tank set up for my large tank. here it is! with pics of the bta revived!! Got that Tonga branch- Im in love with it. I must have moved it all around 100 times before I decided on thoughtful placement for my fish and corals. Lights are on just for pic sake but Im cycling it dark and been testing it. Been exactly 2 weals today. The ammonia is already at a spike. So its on its way! So exciting! Any suggestions?

IMG_3452.JPG 5B340715-E97E-480A-81C5-46A6878E1A19.jpeg D8EF4FA8-DB67-4DF8-B94F-D2C375C56937.jpeg IMG_1819.JPG

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents I would try and stay away from GFO because it strips alot of other trace elements from the water not just po4. If you are feeding the system daily or so in would go ahead and add cheato now. And try and stay away from GFO.
Just my opinion I never have and never will use that stuff. There's a good video about gfo and all the thing it strips from your water. I will try to find it.
Just trying to help.

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lucky Duck

I've just brought my self one of these lights and I'm already see massive improvements in my Coral

i cheated and went over to AI website and downloaded some of the shared profiles uploaded by pro reefers or you can head over to Worldwide Corals website were they also have a few profiles to use with these lights

I went with using the same schedule as David Saxby he has a fantastic tank and I'm already see big changes in my thank using his settings.

David-Saxby_Graph.jpg

Download Profile here Open this link on your phone then download profile and then import it in to the app and it will show under the favourites icon the little star and you can load it from there https://www.aquaillumination.com/signature_series/david-saxby

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents I would try and stay away from GFO because it strips alot of other trace elements from the water not just po4. If you are feeding the system daily or so in would go ahead and add cheato now. And try and stay away from GFO.
Just my opinion I never have and never will use that stuff. There's a good video about gfo and all the thing it strips from your water. I will try to find it.
Just trying to help.
Thanks for that input! Im gonna research that about gfo. My sump has my clean chaeto and im building my microfauna population. I bought Chaeto and found aptasia in it so I threw it out and bought a new ball. Got some peppermint shrimp in the sump to eat all the left over aptasia. I hope the shrimp helps with my cycle vs interrupt it.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg same here with the UI check! they finally sent the card! Did you get your frags from Ebay yet? I set it up now. been so occupied with setting it up and adding more anemones to my 20 gal. I want a dominant anemone tank set up for my large tank. here it is! with pics of the bta revived!! Got that Tonga branch- Im in love with it. I must have moved it all around 100 times before I decided on thoughtful placement for my fish and corals. Lights are on just for pic sake but Im cycling it dark and been testing it. Been exactly 2 weals today. The ammonia is already at a spike. So its on its way! So exciting! Any suggestions?

IMG_3452.JPG 5B340715-E97E-480A-81C5-46A6878E1A19.jpeg D8EF4FA8-DB67-4DF8-B94F-D2C375C56937.jpeg IMG_1819.JPG
Oooo oh ya buddy! Look at that sexy sump! Have I gotten my order off ebay yet... HA! I just placed my 4th order last night lol I've been going ham & cheese buying corals. I hope I don't jinx myself cuz i still have an order on the way but all 3 of my 4 orders so far a have come perfect. All healthy all happy corals & got some beautiful pieces! In my way to a show tank! It's probably a little late now that you're at the 2 week mark but you definitely could have helped speed that cycle up with some Brightwell Aquatics products. Or did you say you used some speed cycle products?? At this point just be patient. Love the branch rock man. I have a total of 37 corals already in my 15 gallon tank. You wanna know something funny? I want a bigger tank! Lol I had to beg my wife to let me even set this one up but she's not a huge fan of where I put it. I see opportunity though.... After deciding my tank is too small with my rock work (I can barley get my hands down to some areas to place corals) I decided I needed a slightly larger tank. Lucky for me I have my old 24 gallon Jbj nano in my stored in basement. So I said to my wife tonight "Hey I'll move my tank...if you let me put up a bigger one." hahaha I think it worked! So hopefully I'll be tearing down and setting up a new one! *fingers crossed* Can't wait for you cycle to finish. Maybe in another few days do a water change. How big is it again? You could always buy some premixed saltwater which is what I use and NutriSea has bacteria in it so it will help you to cycle quicker. I used Brightwell Microbacter StartXLM and Quikcycl, did a 25% water change at day 17 and day 19 I was done. Now I'm on week 7 and I'm running out of room already lol. About GFO I don't know much about it and I don't use it but if it strips other things than Phosphates I wouldn't use it. I'm actually battling Phosphates right now. Had a spike earlier this week from my dry rock. I was up @ 0.58ppm and I try to keep them around 0.05 so that's way too high! I turned to my favorite and only company Brightwell Aquatics and bought some Phosphat-E and some PO4 cubes. It's gone down by half in a day and a half and should be back to where I want in a matter of days. I've been doing a lot to my tank with all my free time. Made a DIY Carbon scrubber and just finished installing a Reef Breeders ATO the other day. Things are looking good!

IMG_20200629_182101.jpg IMG_20200626_181309.jpg IMG_20200624_201625.jpg IMG_20200624_201535.jpg IMG_20200623_204633.jpg IMG_20200623_194111.jpg IMG_20200623_181642.jpg IMG_20200622_180929.jpg IMG_20200622_170742.jpg IMG_20200619_122049.jpg IMG_20200619_121907.jpg IMG_20200612_190026.jpg

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that input! Im gonna research that about gfo. My sump has my clean chaeto and im building my microfauna population. I bought Chaeto and found aptasia in it so I threw it out and bought a new ball. Got some peppermint shrimp in the sump to eat all the left over aptasia. I hope the shrimp helps with my cycle vs interrupt it.
Peppermint shrimp dont always eat aptasia. It's only a specific species that does. I've had many over the years and never had one eat an aptasia. Your best bet if they're bad or even if you have a few you want gone is to buy some Aptasia X by RedSea. Stuff works great.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lucky Duck

I've just brought my self one of these lights and I'm already see massive improvements in my Coral

i cheated and went over to AI website and downloaded some of the shared profiles uploaded by pro reefers or you can head over to Worldwide Corals website were they also have a few profiles to use with these lights

I went with using the same schedule as David Saxby he has a fantastic tank and I'm already see big changes in my thank using his settings.

David-Saxby_Graph.jpg

Download Profile here Open this link on your phone then download profile and then import it in to the app and it will show under the favourites icon the little star and you can load it from there https://www.aquaillumination.com/signature_series/david-saxby
Awesome thanks! I have a really good cycle now but I will check those out. Maybe I'll change it when I set up my new tank. Glad to hear you're lovin the light! I think mine will do even better after I upgrade my tank size too. Right now my tank is 13.5" x 13.5" x 24" tall so it's a lot of depth to hit the bottom and also I'm 11" above the aquarium (can't get it closer). Being that height as well and the narrow length and width I'm sure I'm wasting a lot of light due to spill over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back