AI Prime 16HD Melting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear Claw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bear Claw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2021
Messages
501
Reaction score
188
Location
Raleigh, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 1 of these lights (not sure which) for 3 years now and the other for 2. They are set to be on for 10 hours a day. For the past 2 years or so one of them has been making a loud whirring noise all day because part of the fan is chipped off. The one with the worst melting has no problems with the fan however. I clean them both once a week.

I have a huge montipora colony underneath the one thats the worst that has just recently started to bleach and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the cause. I have been trying to up my Alk but no other corals in my tank have shown signs of stress.

What would you advise I do?

tempImageIqbQb6.png tempImageHDBW15.png tempImagenkoTjH.png
 
I would buy a new fan and lens from AI and replace. Chipped fan probably lessened it's ability to cool.
Lens are about $5, fan is $15, add on about $15 for tax/shipping.
Remove and replace! $35 and your light will run well again!
Lack of lens could be hotspotting the coral.
 
Apologies, AquaIllumination!
Lens
Fan
Thanks should have guessed when I saw your response the dementia cleared. I did not realize that they sold parts. I have had mine for quite some time and no issues the lights must have been splashed somehow
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new