AI Prime 16HD modifications to Biocube

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm starting a tank out of an old oceanic biocube 14 I was given.

I removed the 24(?)watt light entirely and plan to replace it with an AI Prime 16HD.

I'm thinking of modifying it into the lid by either placing it under the lid and leaving the plastic canopy intact or cutting an ai-prime shaped hole into the lid as done by some posters on this forum! I'm also looking for suggestions regarding that, as I don't want to potentially damage the light by sealing it into the hole in the latter method, but also don't know how exactly to go about the former method.

I have another question as well: would the polycarbonate plastic included in the Oceanic biocube 14's "splash guard" be ok for an ai prime 16hd? I'm aware the original light and the ai prime are entirely different wattages (24vs55) and am not sure if the polycarbonate plastic may melt or be affected by the ai prime. If there's a possibility of the ai prime being damaged by or damaging the splash guard, are there any other recommendations for a "splash guard?" Would the light shade diffuser offered for the ai prime be a viable option?

Thanks in advance!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wouldnt put the AI Prime directly on the lid. One of the reasons is it is going to be very close to the waterline meaning water is going to splash on it and get salt creep on it. This can affect the performance of the light. And the heat from the light wont have many places to escape meaning your tank water may get warmer than what you want.

Secondly having the light so close to the water line will affect its spread. You will end up with a very large hot spot underneath it and not enough spread to the outer portions. I think the recommended height for this light is around 8-10 inches for the reason of finding good spread.

I think your best bet is either 1) to cut a hole in the lid and mount the light at the recommended height. However with this the hole would have to be larger than the light itself to allow the light to get into the tank. or 2) scrap the original lid, mount the AI Prime using a mount and use a mesh lid.

I would choose 2) as it will not only allow for optimal use of the AI Prime but also allow for sufficient air exchange between the surface of the water and the air.

OP
OP
lulubap

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wouldnt put the AI Prime directly on the lid. One of the reasons is it is going to be very close to the waterline meaning water is going to splash on it and get salt creep on it. This can affect the performance of the light. And the heat from the light wont have many places to escape meaning your tank water may get warmer than what you want.

Secondly having the light so close to the water line will affect its spread. You will end up with a very large hot spot underneath it and not enough spread to the outer portions. I think the recommended height for this light is around 8-10 inches for the reason of finding good spread.

I think your best bet is either 1) to cut a hole in the lid and mount the light at the recommended height. However with this the hole would have to be larger than the light itself to allow the light to get into the tank. or 2) scrap the original lid, mount the AI Prime using a mount and use a mesh lid.

I would choose 2) as it will not only allow for optimal use of the AI Prime but also allow for sufficient air exchange between the surface of the water and the air.
I would have definitely opted for a mesh lid, however the tank will be located in a school classroom and the teacher of the room has affirmed that she is unsure if the tank would ever be tampered with. However, I think given your response, I could still pitch this idea, , as I was the only advocate for it.

I’ve seen people use hood additions that satisfy the 8-10inch recommendation, but I don’t believe they’re available for the model of my tank. That being said, i do agree with you on the mesh lid. I’ll definitely see to recommending that method.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back