Lighting for 12 gallon coral tank

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a 12 gallon JBJ AIO for a coral tank and to grow out some coral and frags. This will be LPS and softie mainly. What light do you reccomend for it I am not looking to spend much but I would like it to have a timer and mount. The guy I get coral from has a AI prime with the mount he will sell me for 150 just not sure I want to spend that. Would the AI prime be worth it and work good. I do really like the app control but talk me into that or let me know some other lights.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a 12 gallon JBJ AIO for a coral tank and to grow out some coral and frags. This will be LPS and softie mainly. What light do you reccomend for it I am not looking to spend much but I would like it to have a timer and mount. The guy I get coral from has a AI prime with the mount he will sell me for 150 just not sure I want to spend that. Would the AI prime be worth it and work good. I do really like the app control but talk me into that or let me know some other lights.
Hey Lgara - ya i mean for just softies, you can get away with basic lights. Maybe this will work:

1711559706899.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you wanting to spend? Ball park

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lgara - ya i mean for just softies, you can get away with basic lights. Maybe this will help:

I mean it’ll mainly be a mix a good amount of LPS for sure and I can’t say I won’t try sps in it so ?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coralview Aquarium Reef LED Light 30 Watts A029 Aqua Knight V2 Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine Saltwater Coral LED Light with Touch Control for Nano Tank LPS SPS FOT Tank https://a.co/d/i58Pv75

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$150 for a light is CHEAP. 2 coral will cost that much. Don't go cheap on something you hope to last years with good result.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this light is pretty solid from what I've seen

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For past month I've run this $40 Hygger 30 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light over zoas, palys, mushrooms, duncans, trumpet, heliopora, and a pectinia in a 11" tall 7g desk top tank with light 6" above the water.
All have thriving and most have almost doubled in size.

Only Con is there is no ramp up or down.
  • High Power: 30W high power LED with 60 degree lens, higher brightness, strong penetrating power, can penetrate deeper water, and can save more power. The ultra-bright Nano LED aquarium light is 3.2" in diameter, the light's diffusion range is 20" x 20", the peak PAR is 60 µMol at a depth of 24". Recommended for 18'' x 18'' aquariums , suitable for small aquariums such as saltwater fish, live rock, low-light soft corals and reef aquariums
① 5-level brightness adjustment: 100% --77% --55% --32% --10%, easily dimmed appropriately for different marine pets (coral reefs or fish) lighting to promote the growth of any SPS and LPS that under it.
② 3 light colors: blue, warm white, white.
③ 3 timing options: the internal timer allows you to choose the light running for 6H, 9H or 12H.
④ Switch: press the key to turn on or off the light, the operation is very convenient

Amazon link not working....​

1711565353658.png

1711564977388.png
1711565010822.png

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agee its a solid light from my research, but only if you can get it set up correctly.

Even if your not going to use all of the full WiFi functions to control it you must have 2.4 GHz to get the basic app and light connected. Without 2.4GHz wifi you can only toggle between on/off and high/low preset
Not sure if 2.4 is needed after initial set up or not but its a must to have. Most wifi is 5.0 GHz these days so you have to set up another login at the lower 2.4 and/or toggle between settings somehow. Read up on it but haven't got around to actually doing it. Once I do probably will be really happy with this light.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agee its a solid light from my research, but only if you can get it set up correctly.

Even if your not going to use all of the full WiFi functions to control it you must have 2.4 GHz to get the basic app and light connected. Without 2.4GHz wifi you can only toggle between on/off and high/low preset
Not sure if 2.4 is needed after initial set up or not but its a must to have. Most wifi is 5.0 GHz these days so you have to set up another login at the lower 2.4 and/or toggle between settings somehow. Read up on it but haven't got around to actually doing it. Once I do probably will be really happy with this light.
Yea its a good light for the cost. Not as easy or functional as AI but its way cheaper.
Almost all routers have 2.4/5 band. I think a lot of ISPs are just enabling 5 band by default now. Unless your running your own which you should have both. 2.4 chips are just much cheaper hence devices will stay on them for a while.

I found is fairly simple to setup but again I'm a tech guy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back