Is 4mm glass too thin for an AI Prime?

• Total voters

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title states, Im curious if anyone has found out or knows what the minimum glass thickness that the AI prime will work on. I have a fluval 5g and the glass is only 4mm thick. Ive had my tank setup up for 6 months but Ive needed to have my empty waterbox 20g acting as the mounting surface because Im unsure if the fluval will handle it. Curious to hear if any of you guys have tried putting these lights on glass this thin. Thanks!

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you could do is get a piece of wood about 6" long and put it between the mount and the tank glass to distribute the pressure over a larger area. BUT PLEASE BE SURE TO PUT THE WOOD ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TANK......NOT ON THE INSIDE WHERE THE WATER IS!!

if you put it on the inside the wood WILL swell up with the water and break the tank.

Barnabie

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a topfin 10-gallon aquarium. I de-rimmed a part of the aquarium to fit my previous light. AI Prime 16HD site well with the flex mount, on the de-rimmed part. I could not get any data on how thick my glass is.

OP
OP
michaelmessinaglass

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you could do is get a piece of wood about 6" long and put it between the mount and the tank glass to distribute the pressure over a larger area. BUT PLEASE BE SURE TO PUT THE WOOD ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TANK......NOT ON THE INSIDE WHERE THE WATER IS!!

if you put it on the inside the wood WILL swell up with the water and break the tank.

Barnabie
Right on I really like that idea, I’ll probably give it a shot! Thank you

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back