AI Prime HD 14 LED (HELP!)

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2 used AI Prime HD aquarium lights off of Craigslist. I was TOLD by the seller that they were AI Prime 16 HD. But when I got them from my buddy (who made the transaction for me) and tried setting them up thru the app I found out they were in fact Prime HD 14’s. I intended on using them on my 75 gallon softie/ LPS build, but now I’m not even sure what the specs are on the 14’s. I can’t get ahold of the seller now (surprise, surprise) and I cant find any information about them. I’ve gone on the Aquaillumination website and all I can find is info on the 16 HD LED’s. Can anyone tell me how badly I’ve been screwed here? Are 2 AI Prime 14’s capable of supporting a 75 gallon tank? Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even think the 16s would support a tank that size. I use two AI Prime HDs on my Reefer 250, which is a 54 Gallon Display. No way I could go any bigger. You would probably need 3-4 of them.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even think the 16s would support a tank that size. I use two AI Prime HDs on my Reefer 250, which is a 54 Gallon Display. No way I could go any bigger. You would probably need 3-4 of them.
I went on BRS and read in “ask BRS” where someone asked basically the same question. “Will 2 AI Prime HD 16 LEDs support a 4ft 75 gallon tank?” The BRS response was “Yes, but the more light sensitive corals would have to be positioned closer the pucks.”

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on BRS and read in “ask BRS” where someone asked basically the same question. “Will 2 AI Prime HD 16 LEDs support a 4ft 75 gallon tank?” The BRS response was “Yes, but the more light sensitive corals would have to be positioned closer the pucks.”

Idk, I'm just going off personal experience. Mine do a great job on my Reefer 250 but they just reach the ends of the tank. Any farther and I feel like the light would be too low. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, I'm just going off personal experience. Mine do a great job on my Reefer 250 but they just reach the ends of the tank. Any farther and I feel like the light would be too low. Just my 2 cents.
And I appreciate it. Thanks for the response. It’s personal anecdotal information that seems to be the most reliable. So I can assume then that, if the 16’s are in question, there’s no way these two 14’s are gonna work?

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any thing you can send them in too AI an upgrade This is what I am doing. I sent 2 vegas hd in with no power or controllers an going to get 2 new 64 hd for 400 each. They are a great support team there.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any thing you can send them in too AI an upgrade This is what I am doing. I sent 2 vegas hd in with no power or controllers an going to get 2 new 64 hd for 400 each. They are a great support team there.
Wow! Now that’s a great idea! Thanks! I’ll look into it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY difference is 3 extra LEDs.
13 in the original and 16 in the new one.
there won’t be any huge difference in function between the 2.
Also AI recommends each light doing an 18x18 area so that’s only 36” when you have a 48” tank.
min my experience you will need more than just the 2, but you said it’s soft corals, which don’t need much, so you’re probably fine.

here’s the page on the original one:

BA28E88E-0186-488A-BA0E-109721DE9409.png

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 400 for the hd 64 and 200 for the he 32 just got of the phone with them plus 12 dollars shipping
That’s strange. I just got this reply from AI pertaining to an upgrade.
ad68b122d7e6fc295e9bb2fbaaad4a36
Bill Cameron (AquaIllumination)
Nov 18, 2:17 PM EST
Thank you for contacting AquaIllumination. It's important to remember, any item purchased used does not carry any type of warranty. With that said, we do not offer upgrades on any of our lights. If you were provided information to the contrary, it likely is inaccurate. With any other questions, please give us a call today.

Thanks again
Bill

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back