AI Prime HD on a 13.5 gallon tank

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just got this fancy AI Prime HD, but I have really no idea what I should do in terms of %. While messing around with settings and trying to get something to work, I ticked off my BTA.

I was using the stock Fluval EVO Led strip. This looked much brighter than my current settings, but that's probably due to the difference in the white spectrum.

I watched BRS's video about replicating an ideal spectrum using the AI Prime

Here's what they suggested for settings on the Prime:

119 UV
116 Violet
79 Royal Blue
80 Blue
4 Green
4 Deep Red
19 Cool white

It wasn't clear in the video what size tank this might be ideal for. I currently [after some fiddling] have mine set at

Max:
63 UV
67 Violet
52 Royal Blue
43 Blue
7 Green
4 Deep Red
21 Cool white

The tank looks considerably 'darker' than with the stock LED's but I'm assuming that the blue color is deceiving.

I have the Prime set to do a 4.5 hour ramp from 8:30am to the max from 1pm to 6:30pm, and then headed back down to 0 by 11pm

Acclimation mode has dimmed the max settings by 50% to ramp them up to the Max settings over two weeks.

Do these Max number seem like too much or too little for a small tank like mine? The light is mounted 8 inches off the top of the tank, 9 inches from the top of the water and 18 inches to the sandbed.

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just got this fancy AI Prime HD, but I have really no idea what I should do in terms of %. While messing around with settings and trying to get something to work, I ticked off my BTA.

I was using the stock Fluval EVO Led strip. This looked much brighter than my current settings, but that's probably due to the difference in the white spectrum.

I watched BRS's video about replicating an ideal spectrum using the AI Prime

Here's what they suggested for settings on the Prime:

119 UV
116 Violet
79 Royal Blue
80 Blue
4 Green
4 Deep Red
19 Cool white

It wasn't clear in the video what size tank this might be ideal for. I currently [after some fiddling] have mine set at

Max:
63 UV
67 Violet
52 Royal Blue
43 Blue
7 Green
4 Deep Red
21 Cool white

The tank looks considerably 'darker' than with the stock LED's but I'm assuming that the blue color is deceiving.

I have the Prime set to do a 4.5 hour ramp from 8:30am to the max from 1pm to 6:30pm, and then headed back down to 0 by 11pm

When I turn on the acclimation mode, nothing happens to the lights.

Do these Max number seem like too much or too little for a small tank like mine? The light is mounted 8 inches off the top of the tank, 9 inches from the top of the water and 18 inches to the sandbed.

Thanks for any help!
Screenshot of my program
de797898f75168c4ad7e5beff72999e8.jpg

wfournier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine is running a little higher than that at peak on my 13.5, but I also ticked some things off (I think partially from the light, I think also from discovering my refractometer was out of calibration, and I had calibrated it previously). Curently I am still in acclimation mode after my last adjustments, my peak I think is around 90 now but I'm only running at 60-70% with acclimation mode.

I really with AI would put a master slider in their program so you can set the levels however you want it and then just choose the intensity, setting each color at every point gets annoying.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/ and download Stuart Bertram's settings, that is what that chart shows. If you'd like to make adjustments to that, it is easy to do on a computer.
Perfect thank you. Will I need to adjust my acclimation and start from 30/50% for 4 weeks and will it adjust over the 4 weeks to 100% during that time or do I need to do it myself?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thank you. Will I need to adjust my acclimation and start from 30/50% for 4 weeks and will it adjust over the 4 weeks to 100% during that time or do I need to do it myself?

No problem, there is an acclimation mode in the settings. If you log in to MyAI and find the acclimation mode, you can set the light intensity. Keep in mind that when you set the dials, you're setting the "starting intensity" not the intensity decrease. (I had my lights far too low to start, even though nothing was negatively affected).

I no longer have my AI Primes. I switched over to Metal Halides on my tank, though I do miss the blue/night viewing

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, there is an acclimation mode in the settings. If you log in to MyAI and find the acclimation mode, you can set the light intensity. Keep in mind that when you set the dials, you're setting the "starting intensity" not the intensity decrease. (I had my lights far too low to start, even though nothing was negatively affected).

I no longer have my AI Primes. I switched over to Metal Halides on my tank, though I do miss the blue/night viewing
I haven’t seen them lights you got it’s all new to me so learning as I go. Yeah I went into my settings earlier and to begin with set it to 20% but I thought it was too low and moved it up to 50%. Would that be good to keep it like that or do I need to change it or do anything else? As Ino you have to build it up slowly over time. What tank have you got atm then?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen them lights you got it’s all new to me so learning as I go. Yeah I went into my settings earlier and to begin with set it to 20% but I thought it was too low and moved it up to 50%. Would that be good to keep it like that or do I need to change it or do anything else? As Ino you have to build it up slowly over time. What tank have you got atm then?

Starting at 50% and running acclimation mode for 6-8 weeks would be my recommendation based on what I did with my tank when I had the lights. Giving it even longer if it's a new tank might not be a bad idea, but I think that the 50% starting point is a good number.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting at 50% and running acclimation mode for 6-8 weeks would be my recommendation based on what I did with my tank when I had the lights. Giving it even longer if it's a new tank might not be a bad idea, but I think that the 50% starting point is a good number.
Yeah it’s pretty new about 3 months old so I will do it for 6 weeks then I like you said. Do I need to change that 50% up at any point or will it do it automaticly

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s pretty new about 3 months old so I will do it for 6 weeks then I like you said. Do I need to change that 50% up at any point or will it do it automaticly
As long as you set up the 50% starting point in the acclimation settings, it will automatically increase it to your uploaded settings over the acclimation period [starts at 50% and goes up over 6 weeks to your 100% points].

If you manually reduced the points on the graph [not using the acclimation setting] then you'd have to manually increase the points over time.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back