Natural Sunlight vs AI Prime

driciladr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is near a window and gets AM sun when I open the blinds. I noticed my corals are LOVING the AM sun. But when the sun leaves the window spot, and then it's just the AI Prime (set at BRS settings) they just look, okay happy not SUPER happy. Is it the white spectrum the corals were loving from the AM or was it the UV? Trying to figure out what to add to the light to make them that happy all day. I'ved tried multiple presets from AI website and one combo BRS/AIsite from here on Reef2Reef and coral haven't any of them as much as BRS with AM sun.

BRS: UV is 116/118 at peak, white is 46

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is near a window and gets AM sun when I open the blinds. I noticed my corals are LOVING the AM sun. But when the sun leaves the window spot, and then it's just the AI Prime (set at BRS settings) they just look, okay happy not SUPER happy. Is it the white spectrum the corals were loving from the AM or was it the UV? Trying to figure out what to add to the light to make them that happy all day. I'ved tried multiple presets from AI website and one combo BRS/AIsite from here on Reef2Reef and coral haven't any of them as much as BRS with AM sun.

Maybe just the # of photons.

As a data point my 55 in the winter (low sun) would get 8000-12000 lux easily which is approx 184-276 PAR.

Use a luxmeter or phone app to see how much par you "may" be adding in those morning hours.

Can convert using this:

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank gets a bit of sun in the afternoons for a few weeks each year when the sun is really low on the sky. This year, when a particularly bright sunbeam hit the tank, I used a phone app and "measured" 1300par. I have no idea how accurate the app is.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic?
I ran first 4 @100% and the rest at 50%. Plenty of light for anything you want to grow if you use enough pucks.
I ran 2 on this 20g cube.
20221010_165536.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank gets a bit of sun in the afternoons for a few weeks each year when the sun is really low on the sky. This year, when a particularly bright sunbeam hit the tank, I used a phone app and "measured" 1300par. I have no idea how accurate the app is.
Full sun in the tropics is about 2000 par. 1300 is possible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It is the white (probably) and the spectrum. There is probably not much UV reaching through windows and and aquarium glass. I had the same experience with my tank - however, during the day I did not use a blue setting but rather at peak all light color types were at 100%

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I moved my tank got about 4 hours / day of direct sunlight only on the left hand side. Everything on the left grew like crazy. There's really nothing that compares to natural sunlight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back