AI Prime HD PAR Readings - Nuvo 20

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the suspicion that I was cooking some euphyllia that was retracting and losing their deep green colors. I spent a few weeks driving myself nuts on whether I was running the correct light intensities based off of BRS's AI Prime tests, trying to match up their lighting intensities to my tank size/depth etc etc. Well I broke down and got a Apogee SQ-420 PAR Meter and ran some tests of my own and I'm glad I did as mine don't quite match up to their results, but to my surprise I was finding my coral weren't liking PAR readings that are generally considered in the "correct range". Here's some results:

This is what I was originally running my AI Prime HD @ 10" above water on my IM Nuvo 20:

This is essentially BRS's schedule at 50%:

AI Prime 79%.jpg

This is my PAR readings on that schedule. All readings were taken with pumps on and PAR readings are averages from the shimmer fluctuations.

The PAR readings in yellow are where my corals are/were that were not happy. You can see the Hammer head under the 100 PAR was bleaching out compared to its other head on the left at 45. The yellow 135 reading is where my octospawn was and has since been moved to the lower left of the tank sitting under 90, he's still retracted weeks later though.

Everything I've read online suggests 100-150 is good for Euphyllia but thats not the case with my colonies, they seem be liking 30-75.

Nuvo 20 79% PAR.jpg

This is what I have my AI Prime at Now, Its essentially BRS schedule at about 30%~ ish.

AI Prime 55%.jpg

Heres the PAR readings on that intensity:

Nuvo 20 55% PAR.jpg

Its been about 3 weeks since I dropped down my Prime Intensity and so far my Euphyllia garden is doing well. The Heads that are far off to the left getting only 30-40 PAR still seem to be really full and happy. The Heads on the right side of the left side tank are starting to get their color back but have a long way to go. My Octospawn is still ticked.

We'll see how the Micromussa's and Candy Cane do the right side of the tank with the lower intensity but so far they are puffier and bigger than ever!

I hope this info helps anyone trying to figure out Prime settings on their 20g Nano's. this is my no means perfect science or advice on what intensities you should be running, I think all coral colonies have their own individual needs but at least for me its not a guessing game anymore.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...my frogspawn are under like 400 par and they are doing great =P. Just shows every tank is different

jhensperger1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really helpful. I have the same setup and I was running the prime at the BRD 70% setting. My hammer and acans seem to be getting too much light and my zoa heads are super small. Might try what you did here

jhensperger1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really helpful. I have the same setup and I was running the prime at the BRD 70% setting. My hammer and acans seem to be getting too much light and my zoa heads are super small. Might try what you did here

OP
OP
C

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad I could help, yeah I'd definitely try lower light if your in a similar sizes tank. One coral vendor that's local to me, Cherry Corals once said that you'd be surprised how little softies and LPS need for deep coloration and growth, almost all don't need over 90 par.

I've been running this 30% schedule since December and I'm getting great growth still and deeper coloration. Here's a shot from last night (my micro lords are closing up for the night so not as puffy in this Pic but they have 2-4 new heads each) and you can see the euphyllia growth, my octo is finally extended after months of retraction and the monticap growth is great since my original post. Birdsnests are getting good tip growth, polyp extension and coloration at only ~100 par too.

VideoCapture_20230204-155948.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back