AI Prime HD settings for 6 gallon shallow lagoon

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting the right amount of light to my tank and buying or renting a par meter is not possible for me at the moment. My tank is 16Wx16L and 8 inches tall. The AI Prime HD is 7½ inches above the water line and the corals are about 6 inches below the water level even though its an 8 inch deep tank the sand bed takes up roughly 2inches. Its an lps and softie dominated tank so intense light is not my goal. I just don't know if I'm giving my coral too little amount of light with my current prime hd settings. I'm going to post a picture of my lighting schedule maybe someone thats familiar with the prime hd can help. I feel like I can turn my lights up higher but without knowing the par I'm afraid of bleaching my corals do to the shallow tank.

Screenshot_20210125-185835_myAI.jpg Screenshot_20210125-185840_myAI.jpg 20210125_192728.jpg 20210125_192821.jpg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without looking at a par meter I’d say they’re getting enough light. I run my primes very close to your settings and I was getting 250-350 par up top with 120-150 towards the bottom and my tank is a 7.5G peninsula. I can’t remember if I tested par with one prime or two. Almost positive it was one. Regardless you should be okay. Only thing I’d consider is maybe reducing the time at peak intensity by an hour or two but if your corals look happy, and they do, I wouldn’t change anything

OP
OP
ArtofReefing

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without looking at a par meter I’d say they’re getting enough light. I run my primes very close to your settings and I was getting 250-350 par up top with 120-150 towards the bottom and my tank is a 7.5G peninsula. I can’t remember if I tested par with one prime or two. Almost positive it was one. Regardless you should be okay. Only thing I’d consider is maybe reducing the time at peak intensity by an hour or two but if your corals look happy, and they do, I wouldn’t change anything
Okay great advice, I appreciate the input. So far the corals have been doing great with this light setting. I don't want to push the limits if not necessary so I think I'll ll keep it just how it is like you suggested.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back