AI Primes or New ReefLed50

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I have a IM 20 gallon peninsula that I was looking to buy lights for. I was about to pull the trigger on 2 of the new AI prime 16 hds but noticed that the Red Sea ReefLed 50s are the same price point. I know the AI Primes are reputable but does anyone know if the new Red Sea lights are any good or better? Thanks!

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait would one ai prime be enough? I was under the impression that I'd need 2 since the tank was about 30 inches long. It's about 13x12x30 inches. Obviously if one is enough I would rather go with one.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to keep and how you want to aquascape.

You can go with one if you are keeping anything high light within an approximately 12” x 12” area and don’t mind some shadowing/shading outside of that area.

Within a wider area of approximately 18” x 18” you can grow medium and lower light species.

if you want an SPS dominant tank with full coverage of strong light, one Prime will not cover 24” and above.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tank is almost three feet long. I would get two primes. I have a hydra 26hd over a 26” long tank and it shadows. You’ll for sure need two primes. The Red Sea light is too new for me. I like tried and true equipment and methods :)

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a prime 16 for the same tank. It wasn't enough coverage so go for 2 or maybe even pick up a used hydra 52 if you only want one light and full coverage. I used the prime for a week before I took it down and switched to something else.

Back