AI SOL Dimming & Thunderstorms

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up two of the AI SOL Blue fixtures with the AI controller and they're pretty amazing.

One question I have though is if the thunderstorm mode (which dims the lights to simulate cloud cover and quick flashes of white to simulate lightning) and ramping up and down the intensity of the LED's will reduce the lifespan or affect the bulbs in any negative way?

I asked Bill @ Reef LED Lights the same question but I thought this would be good info for anyone else with the fixture.

Thanks!

billd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with AI directly and they said it will not reduce the lifespan of the LED's.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with AI directly and they said it will not reduce the lifespan of the LED's.

That's awesome cause those thunderstorms are pretty fun to watch! Any idea if there's actually any benefit to the storms or is it just for effect?

billd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of.... other than scaring the crap out of my G/F when a storm goes off in the middle of the night :)

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see a video of your setup during a "storm". I've seen some similar stuff on you tube and think it looks really cool. I know that dimming T5 bulbs and halide bulbs definitely reduces bulb life. I'm surprised that LED's wouldn't follow suit (bulb life reduced by dimming). It's good to know though. Especially for anyone looking for dimming capabilities. I wonder how they know? Have they been out long enough to compare? Just curious.

I love those fixtures. Please post some pics when you can! : )

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, it looks cool while freaking out the fish.

A+ job on finding the most similar experience for humans to get flashed in the face with the camera and replicate it for fish.

Fish lack irises.

i'm not a fan.

kungfujoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with the storms too.. my romboi jumped out when i set it on thunder storm.. i was able to put in back in with no ill effects

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back