AIO Frag Tank

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new 32"x16"x6" frag tank. (pics) Works great but I think I want to plumb it to the Sump/Refugium set-up I have now. I say think because I am not sure anymore and would like to hear what you all think.
Right now I have an old 30 gallon plumbed DIY pvc overflow draining into a 14.5 gallon cube Refugium that drains into the sump (pics) I had planed to plumb the new tank to this set-up with the sump set-up cleaned up, as you can see I have changed things around allot.
Right now I have 2 Sailfin Mollys that I acclimated from fresh water for algae control that I hope will do okay to keep in the new tank.
That's my dilemma if I want to use my sump with the refugium and protein skimmer witch will also give me an additional 25 gallons to go with the approx 11 gallon in the frag tank. That will give me a Triton like set-up ( I am setting my main Reef Aquarium sump to the Triton Method)
If I want to use the sump I will have to drill the new tank and I'm not sure where to drill and then the back section with the baffles will kinda be wasted? And if I do drill what side ..what size?
Please help me out here as right now I am lost on what way to go.
In the pics of the old set up I am using now it might look like the drain is also going to the 4" pvc with the filter sock it's not. And thats carbon running in the reactor.
Phil

fullsizeoutput_1fdf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1fe1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1fec.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1fed.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1fee.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1fef.jpeg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the baffles in the frag tank plastic? You could just take those out and then drill it. That said, are you sure you want to do something like that? This looks like a frag tank for taking to shows, should you ever decide that’s something you’re into.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the baffles in the frag tank plastic? You could just take those out and then drill it. That said, are you sure you want to do something like that? This looks like a frag tank for taking to shows, should you ever decide that’s something you’re into.

+1

That is a nice AIO frag tank. Personally I would leave it like it is and if you want a frag tank to plumb into the sump then consider another tank like a 40b. Have you decided what lights you are going to use for that frag tank? Good luck with whatever direction you go!

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 light T-5 48" fixture with 2 whites and 1 ATI Blue Plus & 1ATI purple Plus.
No I am 66 and shows are not in my plans. I had planed to use it with my existing setup that is not to my liking. It's just now that I see it and have it running on my bench it just gives me second thoughts.
So if I drill it do I put the drain to the sump next to the return like a regular drilled tank ? Will that work as to have the water flow thru and use the baffles or would it drain to fast but I could regulate that with a ball valve.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back