AIO owners: How do you keep your tank clean? Lots of problems

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a JBJ 20 gallon frag tank AIO that's been set up for over a year now. It's another one of those situations where when you start out the tank is pristine, you can't do anything wrong. Now I can spend a lot of time on it and it just never looks good. Two big issues. Aiptasia have taken over and green algae keeps growing back on everything. There are 2 clowns and a six line in the tank. I feed them once a day. I have a 12 hr lighting schedule with one hour ramp ups using a single AI 16HD. I can't keep the green algae from growing. I run a protein skimmer in the back 24/7 hooked up to a CO2 scrubber. There's also a cheato ball in the back running on a reverse light schedule. I also have small rocks and some porous cubes in the back to help with biological filtration since there's very little live rock in the tank. I can't really clean the back without tanking the entire tank down and rinsing it out.

The aiptasia when it first started showing up I was using aiptasia X. I don't know if it worked or not. It must not have or I didn't find them all because they've spread out of control now. I've got a bunch of them growing on the glass right behind the overflow. At this point would have to take the tank apart and nuke it to have a chance of clearing these things out. The thing is I just had the tank apart a few months ago to fix a leak. I wish I could get rid of the algae problem first and then work on aptasia problem. Am I running the light too long?

The Hanna ULR phosphate test is always reasonable but it could just be getting used up so it's not showing up.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting tired of green hair algae in my 20-gallon, so I took a kitchen-sink approach: Alternating Vibrant, Hydrogen Peroxide, bottled bacteria, and then as it all loosened up... 4 big emerald crabs. I', several weeks down the road, and the end of GHA is finally in sight!

Back