AIO return chamber water level

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I turned off my return pump to feed my fish, and the return chamber filled up a lot from the overflows. Now when I turned it back on the water level dropped below what it normally sits at causing my ATO to not be in the right spot. Not sure why it didn’t go back to the level it’s been at. Any ideas?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I turned off my return pump to feed my fish, and the return chamber filled up a lot from the overflows. Now when I turned it back on the water level dropped below what it normally sits at causing my ATO to not be in the right spot. Not sure why it didn’t go back to the level it’s been at. Any ideas?
When you turned it back on how long has it been running? Is the return pump on the same setting as before?

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps been running for just a few minutes but it drained it quickly and leveled off. Same speed as before. Display is at the correct level, but now the return chamber lost a few inches of water. Just doesnt make sense to me

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the intake on the return pump gets fouled during use. When you shut if off the backflow may have cleared the blockage, allowing it to put more water back in the tank and causing the ATO to kick on to catch up with the evaporation that happened while the return was lagging.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What kind of pump are you using? Sometimes there will be slight fluctuations in the return chamber water levels for small AIO tanks. Any difference of under 1/2 inch is normal. Happens in my IM25 lagoon as well.

Edit: That being said, I haven’t noticed it even since switching to a dual Sicce 0.5 pump setup. The prior Jebao had that issue.

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the intake on the return pump gets fouled during use. When you shut if off the backflow may have cleared the blockage, allowing it to put more water back in the tank and causing the ATO to kick on to catch up with the evaporation that happened while the return was lagging.
Tanks brand new. Just finished cycling and adding my first fish. Don’t think it has a blockage at all.

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pump are you using? Sometimes there will be slight fluctuations in the return chamber water levels for small AIO tanks. Any difference of under 1/2 inch is normal. Happens in my IM25 lagoon as well.

Edit: That being said, I haven’t noticed it even since switching to a dual Sicce 0.5 pump setup. The prior Jebao had that issue.
I’m using the mighty jet pump that came with it. Hasn’t been an issue until just now. Water level dropped more than a couple inches in display making me reposition my ATO. I just don’t want to move my ATO around constantly.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say Ive ever had the issue but maybe turning the pump off reset its computer and now pumps a tiny bit harder... The smallest flow fluctuations make a big difference in the back chamber... Keep your ATO sensors where they are at and add more water if needed or if the ATO filled it already then dont sweat it. Im sure that little bit wont hurt your salinity much.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the mighty jet pump that came with it. Hasn’t been an issue until just now. Water level dropped more than a couple inches in display making me reposition my ATO. I just don’t want to move my ATO around constantly.
Yeah when I enter feed mode the display water level will drop a bit but always goes back to where it was.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Product Description​

MightyJet AIO (All-In-One) Return Pump The MightyJet AIO (All-In-One) DC Return Pump is an excellent choice for nano aquariums ranging from 30 to 50 gallons. The MightyJet is super quiet, has a run-dry protection, two different flow modes with 9 different speeds, and a feed mode. The MightyJet pushes up to 538 gallons per hour, but can be dialed to your preferred flow rate with the equipped controller at the touch of a button. Once you find the setting that is right for you, you can lock it in by holding the down-arrow button, that the controller will display "LC" when set.

:cool:

ramesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that your sock or filter floss got clogged up so not enough water can go through. Turn the pump off, take the sock or filter floss out and see if the water level goes back to normal. If so then rinse the media or replace it.

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say Ive ever had the issue but maybe turning the pump off reset its computer and now pumps a tiny bit harder... The smallest flow fluctuations make a big difference in the back chamber... Keep your ATO sensors where they are at and add more water if needed or if the ATO filled it already then dont sweat it. Im sure that little bit wont hurt your salinity much.
Yeah I ended up pushing the ATO down a little and let it fill it up a little bit. Will use feed mode next time and keep an eye on everything to see what happens next.

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that your sock or filter floss got clogged up so not enough water can go through. Turn the pump off, take the sock or filter floss out and see if the water level goes back to normal. If so then rinse the media or replace it.
I have intank media baskets and pulled them out to see if flow was interrupted and it wasn’t. Return chamber stayed the same and didn’t fill up anymore. Weird because it seems like the water is just missing lol display is full and return is not where it was at.

ramesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have intank media baskets and pulled them out to see if flow was interrupted and it wasn’t. Return chamber stayed the same and didn’t fill up anymore. Weird because it seems like the water is just missing lol display is full and return is not where it was at.

That is really strange.....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back