Aiptasia eating filefish

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1.5 inch Aiptasia eating file fish captive bred that is listed as reef compatible with caution and not to house with small invertebrates. I had purchased him for my 100 gallon tank to live with my tangs and eat my aiptasia. BUT upon his arrival he is this tiny shy little fish... and I don't know how he will compete for food in this tank? This tank was meant to be FOWLR. other inhabitants: Blue tang / yellow tang / hali wrasse / blue spotted puffer / flame angel.

I also have a smaller 48 gallon reef... that houses 2 ornamental shrimp and a banded goby w/ a paired pistol shrimp. Along with emerald crabs / electric blue hermit crab / and soft corals / BTA. Will he really eat my ornamental shrimp???

My question is has anyone ever experienced this docile fish eating ornamental shrimp or soft corals? I am thinking he would prefer my smaller reef tank?? I hate catching fish after they are in DT b/c it stresses everyone out!

thank you
Neptune!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2FAA7BE0-F626-4757-A39C-82002464D66A.jpeg

I have these two tiny guys (compare to the size of the frag plug!), and I also have a large 3-4”. They were all shy at first— maybe for the first 2 weeks, but have all become great eaters; flake, pellet, and frozen. I doubt yours, at such a small size, would bother any invertebrates. You might have years of growth ahead of you before that becomes a concern. So maybe grow him out, and he can go to your FOWLR way down the line. On the other hand, if you want him in your FOWLR right away, you can probably feed him on the opposite side of the tank, away from the big guys.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple years back for Aptasia control and they didn't nip at anything.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filefish is great, totally reef safe. Has never touched corals or hermit crabs. He's the smallest fish in the tank but still gets plenty to eat. I also hand-feed him aiptasia from my sump. I've had him for 3 yrs. My favorite fish by far!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back