Aiptasia Eating peppermint shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crystal08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I personally have no experience with the L. Vittata shrimp and therfore cannot make a recommendation on them.

I try only to only give advise based my own experience. I have used peppermint shrimp, manual removal, bergia(very expensive fish food), F-aiptaisia, and the afore mentioned superglue. The easiest by far were the shrimp. I do not like berghia because they are very expensive, super slow to work and the fish eat them. I don't like adding fish for aiptasia because the fish may not eat them and will likely be a challenge to remove if needed. With these things in mind and based on my personal experience if the L. Wurdemanni is not available I would resort to manual removal and chemicals(super glue and F aiptasia).
Initially I tried using aiptasia X to remove the aiptasia, and although it did get rid of the aiptasia, they kept coming back so I'm now considering a natural predator.
I will definitely do more research on Lysmata Vittata; can't keep a filefish or Australian stripy in a 20 gallon long term!
 
Might make a forum post to see if anyone has experience keeping them in a reef.
Surely someone in Australia on this forum has tried peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control.
 
Initially I tried using aiptasia X to remove the aiptasia, and although it did get rid of the aiptasia, they kept coming back so I'm now considering a natural predator.
I will definitely do more research on Lysmata Vittata; can't keep a filefish or Australian stripy in a 20 gallon long term!

I would probably try the shrimp that you can get. I am not afraid of adding shrimp. They all tend to go into bottle traps fairly quickly if they become a problem. If they don't work then you can just catch them and take them back to the store.

I have not used Aiptaisia X but I have heard that it doesn't stay put very well. I have used F aiptaisia and it forms a crust over itself and stays put. They say that you are supposed to break the crust and suck it out after a week or so but I did not suck it out and suffered no ill effects in my reef. I didn't have any more aiptaisa sprout up after using the F aiptasia in this manner.
 
I would probably try the shrimp that you can get. I am not afraid of adding shrimp. They all tend to go into bottle traps fairly quickly if they become a problem. If they don't work then you can just catch them and take them back to the store.

I have not used Aiptaisia X but I have heard that it doesn't stay put very well. I have used F aiptaisia and it forms a crust over itself and stays put. They say that you are supposed to break the crust and suck it out after a week or so but I did not suck it out and suffered no ill effects in my reef. I didn't have any more aiptaisa sprout up after using the F aiptasia in this manner.
Good to know they get trapped easily.
I'm not too afraid of reef safe with caution inverts, it's not like the coral is going to die if something has only taken a couple of bites out of it!

Aiptasia X doesn't encrust like f aiptasia, I need to turn the flow off to stop it blowing around.
 
Aiptasia X doesn't encrust like f aiptasia, I need to turn the flow off to stop it blowing around.
You will still need to turn down the flow for a few minutes. I think like 15-30 then after that the crust should be pretty solid.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new