OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clam is already attached to a rock you may not be able to take it out unless it's on a clam hammock.
It’s not alive. It’s real but it died before I got it as a decoration. My clown fish use it as a home mostly

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that like Aiptasia x?
X same but F version creates a coat which stays more put.
Both work, both safe.
glue, puddy, Aptasia X, F, all easier when piece can be removed.
They can be completely removed outside the DT with a small flathead screwdriver, just dig the little brown spot where he shrinks to, right off, brush and rinse.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalkwasser paste works for me but some of these buggers come out in the worst spots and are kinda impossible to get to. Need to find a way to apply either kalkwasser paste or aptaisia x or whatever in hard to reach spots.

I just got a peppermint today to see if it'll eat them.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to sufficiently ensure you deal with aiptasia is add something that eats the babies. Then you can go to town at the larger ones since your not going to be 100% successful and the smaller ones will just get eaten. Let it become apart of the biodiversity and your good.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a peppermint shrimp about 1 week ago, can't see any changes yet, although strangely I've started seeing the odd baby aiptasia floating about in the water? I'm wondering has the shrimp been dislodging them, maybe it is eating some? Anyone else notice this?

Also, Berghia Nudibranchs are great, however I've heard brittlestars and bristleworms may eat them, plus pods eat their eggs so they don't get a chance to reproduce in the large numbers needed.

Wayne Karlen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only see one small baby aiptasia but I understand there’s probably more. We had one on a rock but removed the rock completely. Now we see another tiny one on a shell. I have soft corals, a rock flower anemone and a bubble tip anemone. I don’t want to get anything that will eat them or hurt them.
I am in Queensland, Australia where L. wurdemanni are not available - not allowed to import live shrimp into the country. Only Lysmata Vittata peppermint shrimp from Great Barrier Reef near me are available and while they appear to eat crown of thrones, I cannot seem to find much information on them regarding whether they are reef safe like L. wurdemanni. Here is an article that discusses reef compatibility of a few peppermint shrimp varieties.

Does anyone have any relevant info on Lysmata Vittata reef/fish compatibility, care & whether they eat aiptasia?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if anyones in Nj and needs peppermint shrimp i have a bunch for $10 each
20230511_122904.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing some mixed answers on which kind of peppermint shrimp eat Aiptasia. Please let me know what kind is the best and won’t mess other corals and anemones. Thanks
If there is only one so far .
I wouldn’t bother adding nudibranch . As they all have specific diets .

peppermint shrimp are not guaranteed to eat them and also come with the pittentual
Threat of eating corals . Or not eating aptasia at all .

the fastest and easiest way imo
Mix some kalk powder with rodi water into a paste and cover the aptasia . I use a medicine syringe .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back