Aiptasia/ Glass Anemone issue

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a Aiptasia/ Glass Anemone in my live rock yesterday and I read online that you can inject them with lemon juice. I tried to inject it and it kept closing up on me. I am unsure what to do to get rid of the aiptasia. I have read that peppermint shrimp will eat it. I also read that Berghia Nudibranchs will also eat them but will starve to death if they run out of aiptasia. Thanks for any advice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was it just one?

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont touch the anemone with the injector. Blast a few ml right at the anemone from a cm away. It will retract but if you hit it hard, there is a chance you can kill it. Just do it right the first time and use superglue jell to seal it in the whole.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you pull that piece of rock? If so you can use a razor blade and scrape underneath him getting a little rock as well to make sure you get all of him. I will have to say though it is pretty inevitable that you will get aptasia from time to time. Peppermint shrimp have always worked great for me.

The only time you want to use a Berghia Nudibranch is if your tank is overrun with them and even then you need to have someone to give him to that can keep him fed. Putting a nudi in there with just one would not be justified.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling watet works too, just took out four of them on my rubble live rock. The key is to not to touch them with the needle, just let it hoover right over them and shoot alot of really hot water on them as you inject downward on them. It stuns them then you are able to pierce them to finish them off.

By the way go to Tractor Supply Company to buy the syringe and needle, made the mistake of going to a pharmacy and ask for a needle and syring. I was talked too as if i was using it for drugs, even though i told them what i was using it for. TSC laugh and just said whatever floats your boat. And it was very cheap.

Good luck

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way go to Tractor Supply Company to buy the syringe and needle, made the mistake of going to a pharmacy and ask for a needle and syring. I was talked too as if i was using it for drugs, even though i told them what i was using it for. TSC laugh and just said whatever floats your boat. And it was very cheap.

Good luck

I had the same issue with the pharmacy. They told me I had to have a prescription for a syringe. I went to Tractor Supply and they had them hanging on pegboard!

ibbennyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the pharmacy. They told me I had to have a prescription for a syringe. I went to Tractor Supply and they had them hanging on pegboard!

there is an article on some site that recommends using a specific syringe i think its on like about.com or something. that had a needle size and whatnot.. i printed that out showed it to the pharmacist and they gave it right to me.. i think its at their discretion and they understand when you show them it was for a fish tank.. haha

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Aiptasia-X and peppermint shrimps. Monitor your overflows/sump/filter boxes etc. for colonies...

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to CVS and to a Home Medical store. I told both exactly what i was doing, but they both said they couldnt sell a needle without a prescript. I asked them both how do real drug addicts get there needles, they both said prob from a doctor.

Lol i told TSC that im not asking for TNT or Anthrax, i just need a needle to get rid of these little plant like things before they spread like wildfire. she just laugh and said there is a whole section of needles and syringe.

Its sad when innocent people cant buy something because it could be used for drugs such as Sudafed or needles

Ohwell i know where to go for syringes now and thats just the world we live in i guess.

Last edited:

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSC certainly sounds easier than explaining to the pharmacist that you have a used needed you got from someone you barely know and would like to know if you could purchase a new one instead of re-using a shady one.

Going to the health dept and explaining the truth about the need as well as mentioning that you have an old one but it isn't very clean can give better results. The health dept will give a drug addict a needle before letting a drug addict reuse one.

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried aptasia-x and it works great. it comes with the syringe. I have also used the lazer method to burn them off. If the lazer is strong enought it works, but mine will only kill small ones real close to the glass. I also tried the peppermint shrimp, but my serpent star ate them. Kinda scared to do the copperband butterfly or the nudibranch in my tank due to my zoo's. I guess i just have to snorkel in my tank with the aptasia-x to try to kill them as they pop up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back