Raising Aiptasia hunters: Have you tried to breed Berghia nudibranchs?

Have you tried to breed Berghia nudibranchs?

• Yes, I have successfully bred Berghia nudibranchs.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Yes, I have less than successfully breed Berghia nudibranchs.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • No, I have not tried to breed Berghia nudibranchs, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 23.4%
  • No, I have not tried to breed Berghia nudibranchs and have no plans to try.

Votes: 96 48.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
You don’t breed berghia. You breed aiptasia! Lol they eat aiptasia so fast, I had to stop. It is difficult to get enough aiptasia to sustain even a small population.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.png
    IMG_7557.png
    453.1 KB · Views: 32

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, i had an infestation of over 1000 aiptasia and ended up trading in about 250 berghia for store credit which started from 10.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you can’t keep thousands alive. Unless you have a dozen 300 gallon wall to wall aiptasia systems. That would be a full time job cutting heads off stalks for feeding lol. Personally IM happy if I can keep 50-100 alive at a time so IM prepared for orders.
Yeah it's crazy the amount they eat virtually impossible to keep up with them

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's crazy the amount they eat virtually impossible to keep up with them
I call it survival of the fittest. They all will eat every day if you let them. But young can go 3-5 days and adults 5-7 without eating. So I only feed a controlled amount of cut off aiptasia heads every other day. Provides help sustaining food.

Val1064

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge success when I was given or bought rock infested with aiptasia, I went from 4 to over 100. Keeping them long term is tricky. Mine went through 300lbs of rocks in weeks. My LFS traded me nudis for corals, most died off. I have few left

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been breeding them on and off for a while.
My young ones just laid eggs, so cycle continues :)

The food-tank, that might cause nightmares:
20231026_202353.jpg
Yea I was thinking I may want to grow out our aptasia in the garage.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Phoenix so the only thing I didn’t do was the heating,, not needed for me since the house is reasonable indoors all year. I haven’t had any leaks,, this system ran so good that at one point I moved everything up one shelf,, and kept an Achilles in the “sump” for 8 months, the 4” sand bed is an amazing bio filter. Here is a tip,,, don’t think you’re gonna grow aptasia in the sump, escapes happen. Last comment,,, I now know more about growing aptasia than nudies,,, start your aptasia supply a year in advance. No joke aptasia is the biggest issue, having enough.

Here is a little secret, aptasia is the key, having enough. I saw a great aptasia setup during one of March’s Fragbox Corals YouTube video,, it was one of the trade shows in Florida, he had his very attractive gf with him on a tour of, I think, Top Shelf aquatics. At one point he is leaving one room, bumps into Reefdudes Devon… and you get a magical 10 second view of their solution to growing aptasia,, it’s like. 3 tier system,, he gets hustles past. It looks awesom. I think the idea was to tak a rock with aptasia from tha grow system to the bergia,,let them clean the rock.

IMG_1385.jpeg IMG_1386.jpeg IMG_1387.jpeg
Great photo thsnks

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was thinking I may want to grow out our aptasia in the garage.
I grow my aiptasia in two cheap 5 gallon tank setups i got at petsmart. I cut off heads for the week on a Sunday and every other day put some aiptasia in the breeding jar.

A big tank doesn’t work for baby nudi, too much area to cover to find the food i put in. Limiting the food is the ticket to having a continuous sustainable aiptasia population. They only need feeding every 3-5 days but will eat daily if you just throw in aiptasia rocks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back