Aiptasia? If so, how should I mitigate?

yankeeboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can make it out...one of my Zoa polyps has turned into Medusa...is it expected that its existence is in the tank or should I be aggressive in ridding it?

a0a7ed6149920073af5be58367a9df77.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can make it out...one of my Zoa polyps has turned into Medusa...is it expected that its existence is in the tank or should I be aggressive in ridding it?

a0a7ed6149920073af5be58367a9df77.jpg
It is so hard to tell with that photo but it looks like it is one. You may want to google search aiptasia and you will see some prime examples. I would try to get it out of the tank asap. It may have already released others and if that's the case you'll have to use biological control (berghia, peppermint shrimp, aiptasia eating fish).

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so hard to tell with that photo but it looks like it is one. You may want to google search aiptasia and you will see some prime examples. I would try to get it out of the tank asap. It may have already released others and if that's the case you'll have to use biological control (berghia, peppermint shrimp, aiptasia eating fish).
For big ones give them a 1-2cc blast of kalk I use the residual stuff in the bottom of my mix jug I use for ATO. File fish will eat your Zoe's yellow polyps etc an they aren't easy to catch if you have a large tank or a lot of rock. If you feed the tank Pepermint shrimp can be picky am will eat the food/leftovers first most times.
1520211410126.jpg

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually recently just deployed a peppermint shrimp and he dispatched every aiptasia in my tank in just one night!!! Using nature to solve my tanks issues felt a lot better.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually recently just deployed a peppermint shrimp and he dispatched every aiptasia in my tank in just one night!!! Using nature to solve my tanks issues felt a lot better.
I just picked up two an they haven't even messed with the small ones. Not going to feed for the next few days or week and see what they do...

I don't feed much amd what few fish i have are plenty full see how it goes. If not I'll hit the LFS friday and pick up a couple more they're cheap...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up two an they haven't even messed with the small ones. Not going to feed for the next few days or week and see what they do...

I don't feed much amd what few fish i have are plenty full see how it goes. If not I'll hit the LFS friday and pick up a couple more they're cheap...
Peppermint are hit and miss. For the first time in many years I actually witnessed them eating our acans, literally devouring them. When they would eat the aptasia they would only eat smaller ones.

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ate acans???? NOOOOOO I need to keep any eye for that, hopefully if he does my sixline will dispatch him and protect the corals!

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint are hit and miss. For the first time in many years I actually witnessed them eating our acans, literally devouring them. When they would eat the aptasia they would only eat smaller ones.
Yeah they multiply fast too inwas gone 2 weeks and had some the size of quarters fifty cent pieces that were tiny when I left so I went ninja on them with some kalk and watched them shrivel! It only bumped my Ph by .2 the hermits and my Sally Lighfoot finished the rest of the job

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a single plug? Invest in a $12 soldering iron and BBQ it.

Seriously, that's what I do and it's guaranteed elimination. Actually have a soldering iron dedicated for this task. :)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll reiterate what @DSC reef said, take it out of your tank to do anything to it. If you miss even slightly with aiptasiaX or kalk they will multiply like crazy

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a single plug? Invest in a $12 soldering iron and BBQ it.

Seriously, that's what I do and it's guaranteed elimination. Actually have a soldering iron dedicated for this task. :)
Great idea but [emoji116]

"Make sure to take the plug/rock out of the tank"

We all know *that guy* lol [emoji12]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back