Aiptasia in between zoa frag

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of zoas which are doing pretty well within the tank. However ive noticed 2 aiptasia heads popping out in between the zoa polyps. Everything seems fine for now but im worried that these could spread and ruin the frag.

What would be the best course of action for this? Don't want to tick of the zoas as they are doing well currently.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of zoas which are doing pretty well within the tank. However ive noticed 2 aiptasia heads popping out in between the zoa polyps. Everything seems fine for now but im worried that these could spread and ruin the frag.

What would be the best course of action for this? Don't want to tick of the zoas as they are doing well currently.
Superglue

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room for a Copperband Butterfly fish? It will make a quick meal out of any and all Aptasias. Have had mine for almost 3 years.
5FEC92DA-B244-42B7-A884-FD946132E347.jpeg

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room for a Copperband Butterfly fish? It will make a quick meal out of any and all Aptasias. Have had mine for almost 3 years.
5FEC92DA-B244-42B7-A884-FD946132E347.jpeg
I would love a copperband again. However I've failed at this fish before in a previous tank so think I would need to wait for this tank to be a bit more established.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a copperband again. However I've failed at this fish before in a previous tank so think I would need to wait for this tank to be a bit more established.
Fyi, I too fail at my first CBB. I was only feeding it once a day in a moderately high flow tank. It starved. I’ve had “Bah” for close to 3 years. Multiple feedings per day and less flow because tangs and wrasses and damsels can outeat these fish 2 to 1! It’s really nice not having Aptasias.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, I too fail at my first CBB. I was only feeding it once a day in a moderately high flow tank. It starved. I’ve had “Bah” for close to 3 years. Multiple feedings per day and less flow because tangs and wrasses and damsels can outeat these fish 2 to 1! It’s really nice not having Aptasias.
Yeah my last tank had a pretty high flow. My current tank has a much lower flow, so it could work this time around.

I found my last one did eat but barely, then just slowly starved even after trying multiple types of foods

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp work when you catch it early like this

might be able to spot treat with F Aptasia if they are all retracted - can you take the frag out of the water?

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp work when you catch it early like this

might be able to spot treat with F Aptasia if they are all retracted - can you take the frag out of the water?
Yeah I'm able to take it out as it's only plugged into the rock at the moment, not glued. From what i can see there's 2 Aptasia heads on it poking through

Will peppermint shrimp pick at corals?

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I tried to use superglue. Think I've just made the situation worse as they were tucked up between some of the zoas.

Not sure if I managed to cover them but I got some glue on the side of a Zoa polyp

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will not recommend a copperband or filefish for ONE aptasia. Keep it simple-
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoa can be removed... just razor blade the aiptasia out. More of a scraping motion than a cutting one.

Zoa tissue is tough and the tip of a blade if surgically applied can remove the aiptasia and not damage to zoa.

Pro tip: make sure you can see where the aiptasia is in normal ambient room light. Should present as darkish brown and slimey

Upon removal, swoosh the zoa in some RODI water to cleanse away aiptasia SPORES

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm able to take it out as it's only plugged into the rock at the moment, not glued. From what i can see there's 2 Aptasia heads on it poking through

Will peppermint shrimp pick at corals?
If it’s a true peppermint shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni, it shouldn’t go for corals.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this happens to me I lift the zoa away from the rock to find the point at where the aiptasia is attached to the rock (it always is) and then tweeze or razor away the entire body. Rinse the frag outside the tank to avoid remnants propagating.

kalk works too but I worry it may destroy some zoas.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoa can be removed... just razor blade to aiptasia out. More of a scraping motion than a cutting one.

Zoas are tough and the tip of a blade if surgically applied can remove the aiptasia and not damage to zoa.

Pro tip: make sure you can see where the aiptasia is in normal ambient room light. Should present as darkest brown and slimey

Upon removal, swoosh the zoa in some RODI water to cleanse aiptasia SPORES
he knows zoes... sounds like good advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back