Sudden Zoa disintegration

loops123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
52
Reaction score
18
Location
South africa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Looking for advice. Within 3 days, one of my zoa colonies pretty much disappeared, leaving only some gelatinous tissue between and around the polyps.

Could this be zoa fungus? I’m worried that it may be spreading to a nearby colony. For now, I’ve moved the rock to a QT tank.

I highly doubt it’s related to water parameters. All my other corals are doing fine, including my other zoas, and this specific colony had been growing steadily for a good couple of months.

One thing worth mentioning: I recently added an aiptasia eating filefish. I haven’t actually seen it pick on any of the corals. It’s also eating pellets, and the other zoas seem to be unaffected. I’m not sure whether I should treat it as the main suspect.

I also have a hammer coral near this rock that went from 100% healthy to completely gone in a couple of days.

The circled section was completely covered by this zoa colony, and it was growing into the colony on the left.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-15 at 22.30.08 - Copy.jpeg
 
Hey all,

Looking for advice. Within 3 days, one of my zoa colonies pretty much disappeared, leaving only some gelatinous tissue between and around the polyps.

Could this be zoa fungus? I’m worried that it may be spreading to a nearby colony. For now, I’ve moved the rock to a QT tank.

I highly doubt it’s related to water parameters. All my other corals are doing fine, including my other zoas, and this specific colony had been growing steadily for a good couple of months.

One thing worth mentioning: I recently added an aiptasia eating filefish. I haven’t actually seen it pick on any of the corals. It’s also eating pellets, and the other zoas seem to be unaffected. I’m not sure whether I should treat it as the main suspect.

I also have a hammer coral near this rock that went from 100% healthy to completely gone in a couple of days.

The circled section was completely covered by this zoa colony, and it was growing into the colony on the left.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-15 at 22.30.08 - Copy.jpeg
it seems like they melted and not anything fungus related, the filefish is a massive culprit of this but it can also be water parameters and lighting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new