Aiptasia in new tank, what to do?

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a new reef tank about 3 weeks ago. It went through the process to cycle it. I started with mined dry rock from the beginning and added one piece of live rock and macro algae about 1 week in. Went through some diatoms and now have a bit of cyano. All was going according to plan, added a couple snails last week and 2 clown fish.

Everyone seems happy but I saw a single aiptasia on one of the original dry rock. I pulled the rock out and hit it with boiling water. It is currently sitting out of the tank.

What concerns me is that is the only one I can find. But I can't imagine it *started* on the previously dry rock. The most likely culprit I assume is the live rock chunk I added. So I moved that to a QT. Turned it all round looking for any signs of aiptasia, but can't find any.

Anything else I should do at this point other than be on the lookout for more? I don't see any in the sump, just the one on the rock. Is there any reasonable chance that somehow that is the only one? Seems unlikely because it wouldn't have originated there. There is no coral, only the snails and two fish, I don't know if that adds any flexibility if there ends up being more or a source that I can't find.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When one pops up, you could use a product like Aiptasia-X to destroy them. I had much success blowing them up one by one.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be really careful with boiling water and saltwater inhabitants. Bad idea.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the rock out of the tank before using the water.

Is there something else I should be worried about?
Boiling releases toxins. I know you said was new rock but. If it had paly’s or zoas on it you could have died.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get aiptasia eating nudibranch. If it gets out of hand. Otherwise you might be lucky.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling releases toxins. I know you said was new rock but. If it had paly’s or zoas on it you could have died.
Thanks for the reminder. I had seen videos but thought about what if there were other kinds of corals on the same rock.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t use aptisia x. I have used in several ways ppl swear by and it always makes things way worse. Try to kill one, 3 more appear. Peppermint shrimp or nudibranches. If you don’t have coral I would say file fish or maybe an already eat frozen butterfly.

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use aptisia x. I have used in several ways ppl swear by and it always makes things way worse. Try to kill one, 3 more appear. Peppermint shrimp or nudibranches. If you don’t have coral I would say file fish or maybe an already eat frozen butterfly.
I had thought the same but I learnt from local reefer that I was using it wrong. Ensure you cover the mouth and the tips wrap around syringe and ensure it POPS/explodes. If it doesn't, apply more and if needed cover the entire aiptasia. This is the missing piece and ever since doing it like this, i have had nothing but success.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back