Aiptasia in refugium

  • Thread starter Thread starter MUTiger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MUTiger

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
51
Location
Kansas City, Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank : Red Sea Reefer 250 V3 Sump

I have Chaeto in the refugium section of my sump. I run a refugium light at night and the Chaeto is growing well. In fact , I have already had to remove and discard some Chaeto. I noticed the other day that there are several aiptasia in the sump amongst the Chaeto. There are no aiptasia in the display tank. Do I need to worry about these aiptasia in the refugium? Is there any reason to get rid of them? Can I put berghia in the refugium?
 
You can put them in the Refugium. If it’s in your Refugium and not your tank, something is probably eating it.
 
Once they are in a system they are there for good. That said I've had them in every tank I've owned. I like peppermint shrimp and CBB fish. Natural predators will keep them out of the display. I gave up trying to eradicate them, all that did was cause them to multipily faster. You can cover them with kalk paste and kill them but it will not eradicate them IME
 
In my experience, aptasia are remarkably mobile and can be small enough to make it through most plumbing/return lines. I have had tremendous success with Berghia nudibranchs and recommend them to everyone.
 
Once they are in a system they are there for good. That said I've had them in every tank I've owned. I like peppermint shrimp and CBB fish. Natural predators will keep them out of the display. I gave up trying to eradicate them, all that did was cause them to multipily faster. You can cover them with kalk paste and kill them but it will not eradicate them IME
What is a CBB fish?
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new