Aiptasia on clam

Joekr73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, looking for some tips or advice here. I have a clam with aiptasia on the shell and I'm looking for tips or ideas on how to remove it without harming the clam. I have a Peppermint shrimp but he's not touching it. I tried a copperband but unfortunately did not live. I don't want to try a filefish but I am considering berghia nudibranch.

I've thought about pulling the clam out and scrubbing off the aiptasia with a toothbrusH but am unsure if that will remove it or if it will spawn/spread and come back worse.

Any info you guys and gals can give would be appreciated. Thanks! I know the picture is not the best but you get the idea
20211124_175706.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did one of these last night. I was moving a rock with an pectinia on it and on the bottom there was an aptasia all curled up after I took it out of the water. I decided to try some turbo strontium powder, which I cover coated the entire face & mouth of aptasia with for maybe 2 minutes. I then put a slight pressure onto the aptasia and it let go and fell off nice and clean. I used a syringe to rinse the area of remaning strontium powder and put the rock and pectinia into the tank.

I've tried this with kalk paste before and it did't work the same as strontium power that I've had laying around since 1980's?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled mine out and used a soft brush to gently scrub the off. The Maxima was an adoption and one side was covered in aptasia. Rinsed it off with saltwater and the returned to the tank. Used some Aptasia-X to carefully kill a few that were left.

Of you pull the clam from the tank, be sure to “burp” when returning it to the tank. If it has any trapped air, that can be vary bad for it. I had to burp mine several times.

OP
OP
Joekr73

Joekr73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. So when you burp it I assume the clam will close up but will the air still come out as you invert it and bring it upright again? I've never had to burp one before, guess I could look on YouTube

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. So when you burp it I assume the clam will close up but will the air still come out as you invert it and bring it upright again? I've never had to burp one before, guess I could look on YouTube
Yes, spin it all around and you will see the air bubble out of there is any.

Back