Aiptasia or harmless anemone

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I discovered this creature which I believe is Aiptasia but hoping it’s an innocuous liverock hitchhiker. Can anyone confirm?

In case it’s pertinent for identification, I believe it came on TBS live rock. The only commonality between QT and frag tanks are the live rock I split between the two tanks. About 3 months ago, I discovered like two Aiptasia in the QT, although they were much smaller and appeared different in form. About 6 weeks ago, baby Aiptasia (I think) appeared in the frag tank but they were different in form from the Aiptasia in QT and the specimen at issue — they were shaped more like jellyfish, moved around the tank rather than settling in one spot (the others were/are static), although perhaps bulldozing CUC made them move, and they did not appear to have long tentacles protruding from the head. I went heavy on joe’s juice and sucked them out via hose whenever I spotted them and I haven’t seen any of them in the tank for maybe a month? So I’m hoping this fella is not one that got away.

I believe unrelated, yesterday I also saw a growth on my blasto that I’ve had for like 3 months — appearing to be a small white tube with a head and feathers but I haven’t seen the feathers retract at all. If not Aiptasia, should I try to get rid of it?

Perhaps also following a false lead, afterwards l I also spotted a white tube protruding from around the head of a candy cane but without the feathers.

Any insight appreciated.

IMG_2055.jpeg IMG_1264.jpeg IMG_2035.jpeg IMG_2038.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, just another joy of reefing!

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third picture looks like a pineapple sponge to me. If so, not harmful as far as I'm aware

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back