Aiptasia Outbreak

JeffreyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got about 12 that I can count mainly all on one rock and then 1 solo on another rock. What would be my best method of attack? I’ve been reading up on Aiptasia-X, F-Aiptasia, and other chemical attacks and have seen mixed reviews that they just come back after a few days and it’s not truly effective. No coral are on the rock. What’s my best method?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the rock with 12, and bleach the rock for a weak.

You can try a chemical with the rock with just one, but I found that aptaisia x just tickled them and caused them to multiply. Franks F aptaisia worked for me.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to bleach your rock! No way! That is not a long term solution. Absolutely not! Why not solve the problem once and for all! -If its only a few dozen or less Aiptaisia use red sea Aiptasia X or similar product. ** Then introduce Aiptasia killers like a File Fish and a few peppermint shrimp to your tank. Once you kill off most of the population with a product like Aiptasia X, you can get the problem under control and the file fish and peppermint shrimp will eat the rest AND KEEP them from coming back again.

Think about it: How many times in the future are you going to add corals and rock to your tank from the LFS only to find "Whalla" an Aiptasia sneaked in! Are you going to NUKE your system again! No.

Just cull them back using a product that kills the Aiptasia and not your rock, then have Aiptasia killers on duty.

End of problem for good.

nuking your rock will essentially kills all the life in it and thus kills your reef.

Last edited by a moderator:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about one rock and not the complete tank right? Not sure how that will nuke the tank, unless the OP has two rocks? Sometimes that’s the fastest method since there are other babies that you can’t see. I’ve done this a few times myself in other tanks - save some corals and nuke the rock was the fastest way.

For long term control — I’ve tried file fish, true peppermint shrimps, copperband butterfly, nudibranch, etc without success. The only thing that worked for me: Kleine Butterfly! She eats aiptasias and normal food.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpeg
    IMG_5678.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 25

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found that knocking Aiptasia back with F-Aiptasia and then adding 3 or more Berghia nudibranchs has been successful for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back