Aiptasia Question

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small zoa plug that has two very small aiptasia hiding inside the patch, I could use Aiptasia X but that might kill some of the zoas as well.
My question is, would a hydrogen peroxide dip kill the aiptasia?
I had previously used aiptasia x on another zoa and it worked but it also killed a few zoas on that rock, trying to mitigate losses.

Thanks for the input.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small zoa plug that has two very small aiptasia hiding inside the patch, I could use Aiptasia X but that might kill some of the zoas as well.
My question is, would a hydrogen peroxide dip kill the aiptasia?
I had previously used aiptasia x on another zoa and it worked but it also killed a few zoas on that rock, trying to mitigate losses.

Thanks for the input.
You made me curious so I "Binged" it - not a fan of google - and found this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9B6CFF202DEB0B49D5C29B6CFF202DEB0B4&FORM=VIRE

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had really good success with peppermint shrimp, the trick if you get one that doesn’t eat the aiptasia because there’s other food in the tank that is distracting their purpose is to put them in a separate container and put a piece of aptasia in with it as they will eat it with nothing else to eat and that way it kinda primes them toward eating them . Also make sure they are the ones with the stripes as I’ve been sold the solid ones that never worked out . I had a break out with aiptasia years ago and did the chemical route witch only spread them and ticked off coral . I’ve tried injecting . I’ve tried gluing , I’ve tried manual removal, temporary at best but always came back and spread . Since getting the true peppermint shrimp I haven’t seen any . Even today I keep one in each tank . Now if their was a invert that worked as good for bubble algae that would be something. Emerald crabs are hit or miss and because they are opportunistic eaters , mostly miss in my experience. Manual removal is the only way I go with that for now . Hope this helps and I’m not too late to the thread

Last edited:

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, this is in my Zoas colony is this what I think it is Aiptasia ?

4FF6528B-8F30-4254-B1A2-9A1124CA3BD3.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That certainly looks like aptasia. I think Aptasia X would get it or knock it way back (it might take 2 or 3 shots over time to kill it.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide is an eye-opener, and will give it a try next time. However before Aptasia X I would use F Aptasia if it’s on a colony with Zoe was. It gives you much more fine point control. I have never had to come back a second time with F Aptasia.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my one scoly has 3 aiptasia buds on it that i've tried to glue over with super glue. worked until it didn't.. now i will try squirting it with some hydrogen peroxide!

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this reply, I have two rocks with zoas and a handful of pests, I am going to dip the entire rock tomorrow see what happens!
This is crazy stuff Hydrogen Peroxide, going to get the rock out and try this Friday when doing my water change...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back