Aiptasia winning!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my 3rd. bottle of Aiptasia X and they are still winning. Is there something better besides peppermint shrimp? Don't think my wrasses will let one live in my tank, 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Someone mentioned using boiling water. Does anyone know how that was delivered? I'm desperate!

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish... they're awesome to watch, plus they will sort out your problem

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a delivery system.

I used a stick, airline tubing, ziptied the tubing to the stick. At the other end of the tubing, use a syringe from one of your test kits. I use a 5ml one.
The end fits nicely into the airline tubing. That too is ziptied to the stick.
Now I can "suck" 2-3ml of vinegar - what I smother my aptesia with - and move the end to be right over the "hole" the aptesia hides in when I get close. Squirt.

At the end of my stick, I made a 90 degree turn with a ziptie, so I can squirt sideways. The stick is an aquascaping stick, a wooden dowel would work.

At least this way, I can sneak up on the little guys, and the vinegar makes their tentacles turn white. I think they can't catch food anymore and die.

I also have a filefish, but he doesn't chow down on the big ones, so all the big ones got vinegar. I don't have any peppermint shrimp. A boxer & and cleaner shrimp.
It's been months since I've seen any evil dudes lurking.

U

User1

View Badges
I am on my 3rd. bottle of Aiptasia X and they are still winning. Is there something better besides peppermint shrimp? Don't think my wrasses will let one live in my tank, 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Someone mentioned using boiling water. Does anyone know how that was delivered? I'm desperate!

What sort of tank do you have and what type(s) of coral. Peppermint shrimp will sometimes work but it will vary and of course depend on how many you add. I've had success with them but it doesn't happen over night. I've also had great success with the matted filefish. Again, not over night but say within a month everything was gone and there was no sign of Aiptasia anywhere. They are a great and unique fish but may starve if they are not taking prepared food (flake, pellet, mysis/brine shrimp, etc) and only living on the pest (Aiptasia). If you have one that clears your tank but doesn't eat then return to LFS or club member and let them know you have a fish that 100% eats the stuff.

I'm not one for chemical treatment because it will vary tank to tank. I've also used Berghia Nudibranch back when I had my 100 gallon up and running. These will clear the pest but are expensive, may be eaten by some fish (wrasses), and will 100% die once all Aiptasia are gone. That is the only food source they eat.

Lastly there is the threadfin butterfly fish (I think Chaetodon Aurega). There is a nice video by IPSF that shows one of these in their system which just demolishes the stuff. It really is great but again - may not be reef friendly and size. So may not be an option. Copperband butterflies also sometimes eat the stuff. Fish is more advanced due to feeding but a beautiful fish with potential success of eating the stuff. All fish outside matted filefish should be reviewed for what your biotype is, what other fish you have, corals, and your level of experience.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a delivery system.

I used a stick, airline tubing, ziptied the tubing to the stick. At the other end of the tubing, use a syringe from one of your test kits. I use a 5ml one.
The end fits nicely into the airline tubing. That too is ziptied to the stick.
Now I can "suck" 2-3ml of vinegar - what I smother my aptesia with - and move the end to be right over the "hole" the aptesia hides in when I get close. Squirt.

At the end of my stick, I made a 90 degree turn with a ziptie, so I can squirt sideways. The stick is an aquascaping stick, a wooden dowel would work.

At least this way, I can sneak up on the little guys, and the vinegar makes their tentacles turn white. I think they can't catch food anymore and die.

I also have a filefish, but he doesn't chow down on the big ones, so all the big ones got vinegar. I don't have any peppermint shrimp. A boxer & and cleaner shrimp.
It's been months since I've seen any evil dudes lurking.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I will give this a try.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been having some success using a turkey juice injections syringe . I just cut the tip off since the opening is at 90•
File fish will eat zoa too
I wanted to uses the laser too but read about another reefer blinding his fish so didn't want to risk it.
Nud the best choice just the cost of getting them ship unless u find some local

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back