Aiptasia?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it appears I have 3 Aiptasia out of 100lbs of live rock. They are really big. But can someone confirm that the one in the video is Aiptasia? Its mouth looks odd from the typical glass Anenome. It’s like greenish and about the size of a dime. IMG_0109.jpeg IMG_0110.jpeg IMG_0111.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0112.mov
    19.4 MB

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one doesn't look like it. I can't tell from the other pics.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far, it appears I have 3 Aiptasia out of 100lbs of live rock. They are really big. But can someone confirm that the one in the video is Aiptasia? Its mouth looks odd from the typical glass Anenome. It’s like greenish and about the size of a dime. IMG_0109.jpeg IMG_0110.jpeg IMG_0111.jpeg
Howdy,

We see 3 types of anemones on the farm:
All of these have been verified by local biologists to not reproduce in plague-like proportions in home aquariums.

A peppermint shrimp or CBB will eat the sponge and lightbulb nems.

Rock on.

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Howdy,

We see 3 types of anemones on the farm:
All of these have been verified by local biologists to not reproduce in plague-like proportions in home aquariums.

A peppermint shrimp or CBB will eat the sponge and lightbulb nems.

Rock on.
Looks like you have the Sponge nem.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have the Sponge nem.
@LiverockRocks Hey TBS team!

I think I have few of the Sponge nems from my shipment 6 months ago or so. One of them has grown pretty big -- it's about 2.5" across and still growing, looked identical to OP's when it was smaller. Hasn't multiplied and is actually doing a very good job keeping some super-fast growing Starfire Zoas in check.

These nems have quite a bit of personality, they're active "wigglers" and have a very cool feeding response.

Do you know if these critters are safe with fish? I'd love to keep 'em in the display but don't want it to go all Audrey 2. :zany-face:

sponge_nem.jpg

Last edited:

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@LiverockRocks Hey TBS team!

I think I have few of the Sponge nems from my shipment 6 months ago or so. One of them has grown pretty big -- it's about 2.5" across and still growing, looked identical to OP's when it was smaller. Hasn't multiplied and is actually doing a very good job keeping some super-fast growing Starfire Zoas in check.

These nems have quite a bit of personality, they're active "wigglers" and have a very cool feeding response.

Do you know if these critters are safe with fish? I'd love to keep 'em in the display but don't want it to go all Audrey 2. :zany-face:

sponge_nem.jpg
Hey there @DiabloJP, that is a good-looking sponge nem there. J keeps 3 large ones (2.5"-3") in her home tank with a 3" fish, various crabs and a mantis. She also enjoys having them for the same reasons you mention. We do not know them as fish predators, only for filtering water for tidbits that float by. They are not sticky so I wouldn't worry about a fish getting trapped by one. Interesting that they are mentioned in a study to host snapping shrimp, we have yet to see this.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there @DiabloJP, that is a good-looking sponge nem there. J keeps 3 large ones (2.5"-3") in her home tank with a 3" fish, various crabs and a mantis. She also enjoys having them for the same reasons you mention. We do not know them as fish predators, only for filtering water for tidbits that float by. They are not sticky so I wouldn't worry about a fish getting trapped by one. Interesting that they are mentioned in a study to host snapping shrimp, we have yet to see this.
Awesome! The sponge nems are really cool add a lot of interest. Glad they're not known for munching fish. :smiling-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back