Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big have yours got?
Mind sharing some photos please?
Thx
They stay small. They're rather hard to photograph since they thrive on the darkened undersides of rocks... I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

colourofair87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I am about 8 months into my first reef tank and I have what seems to be a pest I think is aiptasia, but I'm not entirely sure. Any help would be appreciated! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's been about 2 months since I introduced new corals and I made sure to dip and QT before adding to the tank so I'm not sure where these came from!

I tried to attach a video (keeps failing) because I noticed when it is loose off the rock it like pulsates through the water.

IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I am about 8 months into my first reef tank and I have what seems to be a pest I think is aiptasia, but I'm not entirely sure. Any help would be appreciated! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's been about 2 months since I introduced new corals and I made sure to dip and QT before adding to the tank so I'm not sure where these came from!

I tried to attach a video (keeps failing) because I noticed when it is loose off the rock it like pulsates through the water.

IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg
Yeah, these are hydroids that are undergoing strobilation (they're about to turn from sessile polyps to swimming medusae):
they may have just finished strobilation (i.e. they may have just finished turning from polyp to ephyra - ephyra being basically a baby hydrozoan and the precursor to the medusa stage).

colourofair87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these are hydroids that are undergoing strobilation (they're about to turn from sessile polyps to swimming medusae):
Thank you so much for the confirmation. I just got done scraping and brushing every last one I could find on my rock work, then did a vac of the sand bed an partial water change. Hoping I got ahead of it before it got any worse!

colourofair87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share an update for anyone else struggling. The method I used of scrubbing down all the live rock, vacuuming the sand bed, and performing a partial water change has so far been effective at eradicating these the hydroids! Thank you again to everyone for the useful info on these pests! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back