Aiptasia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VR28man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
1,039
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this hitchhiking anemone in the sandbed suddenly today, attached to a small piece of rubble.

Is this an aiptasia, majano, or other pest anemone? I've taken the piece of rubble out and put in in its seperate beeker.

It's about half an inch high. Any idea how long it takes to grow this big?

(sorry, I don't have a proper macro camera, this is the best I could get with my phone)

image2.JPG
 
Last edited:
Looks like Aiptasia. If it's on a piece of rubble, I would just toss it out/let it dry in the sun. Even if you don't see them in your tank, consider investing in a peppermint shrimp to get rid of any unseen anemones.
 
Thanks. I'll pass by the LFS today, so i'll grab a Peppermint shrimp. Maybe I'll put it in the beeker first ........ :D :D
 
Thanks. I'll pass by the LFS today, so i'll grab a Peppermint shrimp. Maybe I'll put it in the beeker first ........ :D :D
With a peppermint shrimp it’s hit and miss if they will eat them or not ..
 
With a peppermint shrimp it’s hit and miss if they will eat them or not ..

That's why I'm going to put it in the beaker first. If it doesn't it's false advertising and I wanna refund. :D :D. (Kidding - seriously, I know. I'm not going to be this flippant)
 
Update just FYI: it attached itself to the beaker wall. I tried to move it to a larger beaker (that the shrimp could fit in); it was resistant of course and in contending with it inadvertently tore it apart. So far, it has not regenerated itself at all over two days, probably because in the beaker the (nonexistant) flow and lack of nutrients do not give it good prospects for growth (it is under a Kessil though). Suggesting that Aiptasia need those things to become pests.

As for the peppermint shrimp, I got it plus a cleaner shrimp and a turbo snail. They've gone to town on a lot of my tank's excess algae, to the point that I'll have to start feeding them soon. Too bad that I cleared out a lot of excess algae this week; I could have left it to them. (But they would have given back in the form of poop, though. :D :D )
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new