Aiptasia

Johnny C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!!! Aiptasia outbreak… I have put aiptasia-x on them and they hide for a bit and pop right back up. And I swear that they have been multiplying. I got a aiptasia eating file fish. Just as my luck goes he completely ignores it. I have tried lemon juice on them and nothing. I bought a very high powered laser which will burn your hand if you point it on it. They do hide from it. But they tuck back in the rock work and come back out the next day. I have been told to get a copper band. And try that. But I have also been told that is a very hard fish to keep alive. And I am new to all of this. any input will be greatly appreciated

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recommend injecting with kalk paste and then covering it too. Some say injecting with boiling water. I have no experience with this though cause I haven’t had to fight Aiptasia.

On the joking side…others say kill it with fire :)

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a berghia nudibranch before a copper band they are hard to feed and may decide they don't like your aiptasia. Berghia nudis are obligate aiptasia eaters so you know they'll eat them.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a berghia nudibranch before a copper band they are hard to feed and may decide they don't like your aiptasia. Berghia nudis are obligate aiptasia eaters so you know they'll eat them.
Totally forgot about the Berghias. Agreed. If there’s a large quantity, may look into them. It may take a bit to notice any difference if you have a ton

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck with peppermint t shrimp from reef cleaners. Within 8 hours of being in my tank, they took out the 2 noticeable aiptasia in my tank. No idea if there were any I wasn’t seeing, they have also got.

Venomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys for me were a godsend, 3 nudis wiped out my infestation, tried aiptasia x, filefish, lemon juice, everything just caused them to spread, nudi's are the only sure thing, just put your wrasse in the sump if you have one or qt it until the nems are done

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recommend injecting with kalk paste and then covering it too. Some say injecting with boiling water. I have no experience with this though cause I haven’t had to fight Aiptasia.

On the joking side…others say kill it with fire :)
I can confirm boiling water works. I did that method in a pinch when I got my first frags

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your fish?

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I first began using aptasia x and I was able to defeat the aptasia in my tank that I could reach but a few began living under one of my coral that began growing up the glass and I could not reach them so I purchased a peppermint shrimp from aquatic jewels an online retailer I received it in excellent condition and shortly after I acclimated it to my system it molted once but shortly after I believe it was hungry and devoured the aptasia that I could not reach I had a larger aptasia that I noticed growing afterwards that the shrimp did not seem interested in an area I could reach using the syringe that comes in the package I was able to eradicate it when I use the x I always use a lot so I can smother the aptasia and I have never had any problems with my system when I have to use it I have not seen any aptasia growing in over a month good luck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back