Air bubbles coming out of sand bed

Gummy Ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here. I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby after a 20-year hiatus with a 20g Waterbox cube. I’m one week in, have 20 lbs of "live" sand and about 20 lbs of "life rock". I started the tank cycle with a clown and a psuedo (please don't nag, I did the research and decided to cycle with fish and additive bacteria). Over the course of the first week, I added bio spira, fritzyme 9, & dr. tim's one and only. Yes, it might be overkill but I believe the more the merrier to jump-start the tank since real live rock isn't really an option anymore and so far I am very happy with the results. Everything is going great and the cycle was done in five days (ammonia- nitrite spike and back to zero, nitrate steady at bout 15 ppm). I stupidly decided to rotate the aquascape this morning and in addition to a huge cloud of sand dust, I noticed literally thousands of bubbles flying to the surface as I spread the sand bed back out. Do you think these were still trapped from the initial set-up or a result of the nitrogen cycle?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First post here. I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby after a 20-year hiatus with a 20g Waterbox cube. I’m one week in, have 20 lbs of "live" sand and about 20 lbs of "life rock". I started the tank cycle with a clown and a psuedo (please don't nag, I did the research and decided to cycle with fish and additive bacteria). Over the course of the first week, I added bio spira, fritzyme 9, & dr. tim's one and only. Yes, it might be overkill but I believe the more the merrier to jump-start the tank since real live rock isn't really an option anymore and so far I am very happy with the results. Everything is going great and the cycle was done in five days (ammonia- nitrite spike and back to zero, nitrate steady at bout 15 ppm). I stupidly decided to rotate the aquascape this morning and in addition to a huge cloud of sand dust, I noticed literally thousands of bubbles flying to the surface as I spread the sand bed back out. Do you think these were still trapped from the initial set-up or a result of the nitrogen cycle?
'Bubbles' can be anything. Its probably from when you put the sand in (i.e. air) - it could be N2, it could be Sulphur (but I would think you'd have problems if that were the case).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
'Bubbles' can be anything. Its probably from when you put the sand in (i.e. air) - it could be N2, it could be Sulphur (but I would think you'd have problems if that were the case).
PS - Its probably not Nitrogen - because the cycle produces nitrate - not N2 gas

OP
OP
Gummy Ranger

Gummy Ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured, but I moved the sand around pretty thoroughly during setup so it seemed weird, thanks.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - Its probably not Nitrogen - because the cycle produces nitrate - not N2 gas

The Nitrogen Cycle​

In a healthy aquarium, ammonia is eliminated via a natural process called the nitrogen cycle that is driven by a few different types of naturally occurring bacteria. Bacteria will process the toxic ammonia into nitrite, then a different bacteria takes over and produces much safer nitrate. Nitrate will then build up in the water or in some cases, other bacteria turn that nitrate into nitrogen gas. The nitrogen gas then bubbles out into the atmosphere for use by other organisms.

Taken from here:

OP
OP
Gummy Ranger

Gummy Ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Nitrogen Cycle​

In a healthy aquarium, ammonia is eliminated via a natural process called the nitrogen cycle that is driven by a few different types of naturally occurring bacteria. Bacteria will process the toxic ammonia into nitrite, then a different bacteria takes over and produces much safer nitrate. Nitrate will then build up in the water or in some cases, other bacteria turn that nitrate into nitrogen gas. The nitrogen gas then bubbles out into the atmosphere for use by other organisms.

Taken from here:
I love those videos! I have been watching nothing else for two weeks. BRStv rocks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The Nitrogen Cycle​

Taken from here:
Yes - but that doesn't usually occur in a week - and would not result in bubbles throughout the sand. Thats the reason we need to 'export' nitrate' usually. Certainly, there are bacteria that convert nitrate to N2 - but unless the bacteria in the tank is somehow very abnormal, bubbles of N2 should not be produced. For example - if you stir up your sand - there are not usually bubbles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back