Air in Sump flow

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. I have a tank with sump filtration. The back overflow on my tank has a pvc pipe that the water flows down to my sump. Should my pipe be totally submerged? This is the setup the guy used that I got it from which is the reason I ask. Even with the ball valve open all the way I'm getting a lot of air flowing down? Should I cut a foot off the pvc pipe? Here's a pic and you can see the water line in my overflow.

IMG_9186.JPG

MichaelD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built this.. My tank has 2 drain pipes. The noise and flushing sound was pretty loud at times. THESE DIY mufflers are awesome. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually fixed it. I just cut a piece of air hose and set it in. I needed a air relief. I was getting too much water and not enough air. And if I slowed the flow from my pump with the ball valve I was getting micro bubbles in the tank. Here's a pic of the hose I used. All is good now. So far until the next issue.

IMG_9214.JPG

MichaelD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually fixed it. I just cut a piece of air hose and set it in. I needed a air relief. I was getting too much water and not enough air. And if I slowed the flow from my pump with the ball valve I was getting micro bubbles in the tank. Here's a pic of the hose I used. All is good now. So far until the next issue.

IMG_9214.JPG
Good for you..[emoji1] Hey, that's why they call it a hobby. I tried that trick with a smaller air tube. Didn't work for me. Guess I should have used a larger air tube. Microbubbles are no fun either. I tried just about EVERYTHING. I actually gave up.. Figured I'd have to live with them. Got up one morning, low and behold, they were gone. Pump running full bore.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Ha. Yesterday I actually built a durso standpipe. Everyone said it would stop the flushing. Well it didn't. But there's my large straw going in the top. And it stoped it.

IMG_9291.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back